Using SATA and IDE

jayhat

n00b
I have a new sata hard drive that I just installed windows on and I also have a older IDE hard drive that I want to use as a storage drive. Now I hook it up the the IDE cable as a slave drive and everytime I try to boot up it will boot the the IDE drive, so I unplug it and then it boots to the sata just fine. How can I get this to work correctly??

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but what I would do is set the drive as Master and connect it to the primary IDE port. You might have to set the boot priority in the BIOS to have the SATA boot first.

Yeah to avoid uneccessary conflict, if the drive is the only one on the IDE chain I would set it to eithe rmaster or single, some companies require single when its the only device on the chain.

As for the SATA drive being the one to boot to first, that should be handled by the boot priority options in your BIOS

Yeah in the BIOS under the boot options I have: Hard drive, cdrom, floppy, and one other one. I cant differentiate between sata and IDE in that window. Anymore ideas?? Can you only use one type of hard drive at a time??

Back