Using Razer Orbweaver D-Pad for WASD...any problems?

Ladyhawk

Limp Gawd
Hi peeps,

Long time no post. I'm no longer building and repairing PCs for other people, so I don't keep up-to-date on every hardware advance that comes down the pipes. I am, however, still playing PC games and keeping my PC updated (for the most part).

I use the D-Pad on an aging Belkin nostromo speedpad n52 for WASD in first-person shooters. All versions of nostromo have been discontinued, so I've been trying to see what else is available.

I've been looking at the Razer Orbweaver. I'd like to use the directional pad for WASD, just like I do with my nostromo. From reading reviews on Amazon and asking a butt-load of questions, I have the impression that the D-pad is too sensitive and that it is hard to hit diagonals (between W and A for example) on the first try, which would be disastrous for quick directional changes. I've also heard that Synapse 2.0 is kind of sucky. I recently "upgraded" from Iobit Gamebooster to razer Gamebooster. In my opinion, razer ruined the software, so I went back to the 3.4 Iobit version. It has made me a bit leery of any razer software.

Questions:

1. Does anyone here successfully use the D-Pad on the Orbweaver for WASD? What are your experiences? Was it hard to get used to?

2. Is the razer Tartarus D-Pad easier to control?

3. I'm thinking of buying a razer nostromo before they're all gone. In your opinion, is the Synapse software OK? Does it allow for Direct Input? I map all my nostromo buttons to Direct Input and use Pinnacle Profiler instead. It is much, much more versatile than the Belkin software (and probably more versatile than Synapse 2.0). So, if I could map all the buttons to Direct Input, I'd be happy.

I decided to ask you guys because I almost always get good answers here. Thank you in advance.

Hello,

I, too, find the Nostromo D-pad to be a bit better than the Orbweaver. The Orbweaver is very sensitive. It's also smaller than the D-pad on the Nostromo. The Tartarus won't be any different than the Orbweaver, as it's just an Orbweaver without the top row of keys. I also just checked, and it does look like the Orbweaver Supports DirectInput.

I don't find Synapse 2.0 all that bad myself. I haven't had any problems binding keys, and I for one find the cloud synchronization useful for when I have to reformat my system; it's just one less thing to worry about. It does have an offline mode if you're concerned about privacy, but you still need a Razer account to get it to run to get that far. If you're really that worried about it, you can create a throw-away email address to use for registration.

I would also suggest giving Synapse 2.0 a shot before falling back to Pinnacle Profiler. Synapse 2.0 has far more features than the Nostromo configuration software. Makes me wish that the Nostromo worked with Synapse 2.0

Summary:
1 - I haven't used the D-pad for WASD, but it is a lot more sensitive and smaller than the Nostromo.
2 - No, the D-pad for the Tartarus and Orbweaver are the same
3 - I haven't had any problems with the Synapse 2.0 software myself. It does support DirectInput for the Orbweaver, so you're good to go there.

I've owned the Belkin N52TE and currently own the Razer Orbweaver.

1. The D-Pad on the Orbweaver is definitely less tiring and you don't have to use as much force to press, but I didn't find it hard to get used to. As Velox said though, it is smaller and more sensitive than the N52TE for sure. I do believe its more accurate hitting diagonals on the N52TE vs the Orbweaver.

2. Already answered above.

3. I haven't had any problems with the Synapse 2.0 software and find it convenient that its quicker to change/make binds apply than with the Belkin software.

Back