• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Using QuietnCool-help!

Joined
Dec 15, 2005
Messages
3
Hey everyone, I was just wondering,
is there a way I can use Quiet n Cool to limit my clock speed?

I have an ECS Nforce4 a939 and an AMD 3800+ (frys black friday deal)
I have the thermaltake big typhoon with as5 and am seeing 34C idle and 40 under load
I used systool to change quietcool to keep it down to 800mhz when idle
but is there a way to tweak quiet n cool to keep it 800mhz at all times?
(without changing the clock speed from the bios?)

or do i have a completely wrong idea of how q'nc works?
thanks!
:D
 
What Cool n Quiet (not quiet n cool) does is it reduces the multiplier of your CPU and lowers the voltage (I think). I dont think you can set it just at 800mhz
 
you can lower your voltage and perhaps lower your CPU clock but why did you buy a new combo? Just curious why you want to run @ 800mhZ all the time.
 
Basically, unless i'm completely off the mark here (and that is possible...only 1 cup of coffee so far), quiet n'cool is dynamic underclocking via the CPU multiplier. it also lower power consumption of the CPU when being underclocked. I see a use for this in the mobile arena, but I have no idea why anyone would purposely underclock their desktop. Can you help me grasp this concept? with Quiet n'Cool, the FSB and HT stay the same, it just lowers the multiplier. it is my understanding that because of the nature of the quiet n'cool BIOS settings, it is either enabled or disabled, and adjusts multiplier depending on CPU load.

There may or may not be 3rd party software available that someone has written for the public domain to permanently clock the CPU slower. The only thing that comes to mind is programs that people who run old NES emulators use to slow down their clock to play older games (so that it's not at warp speed due to the new technology). Alas, I cannnot think of the name of the program at the moment. Perhaps someone else can recall the name, and throw down some linkage for ya. This would probably be your best bet for a clocklock to keep the CPU @ 800MHz.

But, I am inquisitive as to why you would want to take a 3800 and keep it @ 800? If you just don't like going fast, i've got a few old calculators i'll trade ya for the 3800! No? How about an abacus?
 
Back
Top