• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using PhysX on my ATI 5970 System

Stangs55

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
223
Saddened to see nVidia dragging their heels at the time of my new build, I've picked up an XFX 5970 for my new rig.

I'm very excited about Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it's looking like it'll take advantage of PhysX processing more than any other game to date...presumably with more physics effects for those without the card.

Soooo, I've got two 8800GTX's just sitting here at home...is it possible to use my 5970 for video as my 8800GTX for PhysX processing?
What about if I was able to find an older dedicated PhysX card on ebay (since they don't seem to be sold as solo unit anymore), are they comparable with Win7?

Thanks.
 
There's a thread about ATI + Physx in the Physics forum.

Basically you need the driver hack and a way to fake a monitor connection on the nvidia card (plug it to your second monitor port if you have one).

I am running a config like this albeit with much more modest hardware.
 
Where does it say BF:BC2 uses Physx? I know Frostbite 2 uses DX11, but I have never seen anyone say anything about Physx...
 
Too bad, Nvidia is tying their PhysX business to their video cards. Now you have to use their cards if you want the physics.

Instead of letting their PhysX work on their card no matter what the main video card in a system is. So what if I decide to use an ATI for my main card, if I'm still spending (or have spent) good money on an Nvidia as my secondary card - that's still money in their pocket.
 
Didn't Windows 7 fix this problem for ATi and nVidia of being able to install 2 different graphics cards?
 
Has anyone done that hack with crossfire?

I might be getting 2 4890s for crossfire, it would be cool to use my 8800gts for Physx
 
Didn't Windows 7 fix this problem for ATi and nVidia of being able to install 2 different graphics cards?

Its a different issue. The problem is Nvidia is restricting PhysX to only systems that run Nvidia cards, not pairing them just for physics, so you've gotta use a driver hack to get it to work.
 
Back
Top