• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using PC speakers on a TV

PenPen

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 26, 2005
Messages
92
My TV has horrible sound and was wondering if I could use my PC Speakers with them. It came with an output for the R and L cables, but when I hooked them up to the TV, it doesn't work. The sound is only outputting from the TV speakers and not the PC speakers.
 
When you say "it came with an output..." you are talking about your tv, right? As in, your tv has audio outputs. Your tv might have a setting to enable audio output, and another setting to disable the internal speakers. My old toshiba does, so your's might have something similar. But I don't know if pc speakers are really an upgrade, though. Computer speakers are meant for close range listening, which isn't your typical setup when watching tv.

It might help if you'd tell us what tv you are using. Otherwise we are pretty much just shooting in the dark.
 
Wait, are you saying you have a RCA to mini cable? example

Then, do you have this cable going from your TV "audio output", to your computer (line input)?

I know all these terms may be confusing, but its important that you call each one what it is (or it gets confusing).
 
Are you sure you are plugging the speakers into audio outputs and not inputs? If you are indeed plugging them into outputs and you still aren't getting anything, there's probably a setting on the tv somewhere to enable the outputs(and disable the builtin speakers). Have you checked the tv's manual? I tried searching for it, but I can't find anything about that particular tv.
 
Same situation on my TV - I just hooked my PC speakers to the headphone jack on them. Your TV most likely has a headphone jack, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.
 
I think it may be input, but there is also a slot to put pc speakers... it is labeled "pc speakers" and it is right next to the VGA.
 
I let my friend borrow my tuner and floor standing speakers last year so I used this arrangement for my living room.

Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 connected to a Creative DDTS-100. The decoder works great except it doesn't have a sufficient volume boost and the unit doesn’t have a ground. So for any analog inputs make sure to use something with an isolated ground loop, if you don't you will get noise through your speakers. The noise drove me NUTS until I talked with Klipsch about the problem; Creative was absolutely no help. You can buy the ground loops at radio shack for pretty cheap.

I currently have my TV and GameCube output to the decoder on RCA inputs, my X-Box and PS2 use optical. You can check out the decoder here
 
those don't look exactly cheap. The one that you gave is pretty much +$100.
Is this the only way?
 
PenPen said:
those don't look exactly cheap. The one that you gave is pretty much +$100.
Is this the only way?
No, its not.

I could'nt find your TV model on the akai website, so it looks like they no longer support it (eaither that or its too new).

Anyway, look for the "Audio Out" RCA jacks on the TV. You want to connect this to your computer's sound card "input". The best way to do this would be a "mini to RCA cable" like I linked to in my first post.

Once you have the TV correctly connected to the computer, you can play the TV audio from your computer speakers (along with any computer audio).

The only thing you may need to buy is a cheap "mini to RCA" cable, and those can be had for less then 5$us for the cheap ones.

Does this make sense to you?

~Hope this helps
 
Back
Top