• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using old SATA hdds for a new build

Joined
Feb 6, 2012
Messages
9
Hey,

I'm on a tight budget, thought I could save some money by using my old SATA hdd as a main drive until I get an SSD down the road, then turn that hdd into a storage. What do you guys think? Use my extra 500gb, or buy a new one?

my question is, is there a noticeable difference from using SATAIII --> SATA? I don't really care about the transfer rate, I just wanna make sure I can get an overall good performance with playing games etc.
 
nah go for it. i run 7200 rpm drives in my main gaming rig and my laptop and they work great. my desktop boots in about 30 seconds i think which is completely tolerable since i hit power and do whatever and come back. not sure about my laptop since i hardly ever restart it. if its a 5400 rpm "green" drive then i would be hesitant. they can work fine, and i have windows on a partition of my 5400 rpm samsung F4 for my htpc, but that computer is not zippy in the least (doesnt need to be though). if you can put up with a long boot time then you should be fine with 7200rpm. if you can put up with a little sluggishness then you should be fine with 5400 rpm. if you want stuff to be snappy and responsive, youre gonna want to go with an SSD. and there is no noticeable difference between SATA2 and SATA3 unless you have a brand new top of the line SSD. previous gen SSDs didnt max out SATA2, and HDDs never have.

if youre on a tight budget i would definitely recommend using any old 7200 rpm drive you have lying around.
 
^ This.

No HDD has even broken the SATA-II barrier yet, let alone SATA-III.
 
^ This.

No HDD has even broken the SATA-II barrier yet, let alone SATA-III.

It's 2012, here at least, and new HDDs routinely break the SATA1 barrier.

But that's the wrong argument anyway, any HDD is slow compared to a SSD.
 
I routinely copy large VM files from an SSD to/from a single platter 500gb samsung and it is not able to sustain transfer rates above Sata I. For non Raid0 mechanical hard drive configurations, Sata I/II/III still doesn't matter imho.

I'd agree more with Red Falcon's assessment than I would Aesma's.
 
Back
Top