Using Old PSU For New Build?

phorkz

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I have a Corsair AX1200:

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...ied-Fully-Modular-Power-Supply/p/CMPSU-1200AX

Have used this in my old rig from mid 2013 until this week. Has ran a 3770K @ 4.5GHZ, and multiple different high end GPU's over the years, xfire and sli setups included. I have never had any issues with it, fully cleaned it including the cables and checked them over, all is good.

My question is, would this PSU be ok to use for a new high end build?(9900k/ 2080ti) plan on using for at least another 5 years so that will be 11 years in total, at least.

I ask from a purely 'age' perspective.

Thanks Guys

It would probably be ok.

But it’s a bad place to save a few bucks on a “high end build”

Even with some degradation, you're probably not going to be pushing the limits of 1200W with your system, and I doubt you're anywhere near the rated MTBF 100,000 hours of use.

HardOCP did some testing on 10 year old PSUs and most lost a bit of capacity over the years as far as absolute max output, but were still within ATX spec.

You have a lot of headroom there. Use it till it dies IMO.

Thanks for your time guys.

I am just going to go ahead and use it in my new build, packed it up back in it's original box until then.

Thanks Again!

I would have absolutely zero hesitation using it. I'd have far more hesitation replacing it.

It will probably be fine. I'm using a very similar configuration. I've got a 9900K, RTX 2080 Ti, and a bunch of drives. I'm also running custom water cooling and overclocking everything.

Back