SomeGuy133
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Apr 12, 2015
- Messages
- 3,447
Is there any reason against using old/"dying" hard drives as extra parity? If i had 12 3 TB in Snap Raid and had 2 parity drives as recommended by SnapRAID could I use my extra 2/3 old/"dying" HDDs as extra parity? That would give me 4 parity drives. Any reason against doing that? They are not in perfect condition and have some bad sectors butt are "stable" for now. They cleared surface testing with no new bad sectors.
EDIT: I have a Norco 4224 and I only have 12 3TB drives at the moment so I have the space for them to make 14-15 drives with 4-5 parity...just because.
I have no other use for them so I was wondering if I could have extra parity drives while they are stable. Wasn't sure if they could cause a problem with corruption or anything so that is why i am asking.
EDIT: I have a Norco 4224 and I only have 12 3TB drives at the moment so I have the space for them to make 14-15 drives with 4-5 parity...just because.
I have no other use for them so I was wondering if I could have extra parity drives while they are stable. Wasn't sure if they could cause a problem with corruption or anything so that is why i am asking.