Using neighbors Internet.

Edgar

2[H]4U
Me and my neighbor have decided to go halfsies on his Internet. I want connect my router to his router and have my devices (phones, laptops etc) connect to my own router. What is the best way to do this?

We both have wireless g modems and I just flashed my wrt54gl v1.1 with ddwrt. Setup a client bridge but I only get Internet on that computer only. The signal is good on my router to his router, but not my devices to his router. Hence, why I want my devices to connect to my router.

Any help would be appreciated and this would be a great learning experience as well.

I don't think your G router will be able to connect to his WiFi as well as broadcast its own WiFi for your home.

You either need a better router that can run 2 WiFi networks at once or get a simple wireless access point and connect it into your router to broadcast your own local WiFi.

Well if he lives right next door to you or directly behind you (same block) then just run some Cat5 to your house.

Otherwise, pick up another wireless router and connect the DD-WRT bridged router to it.

Although I also have a similar setup, I don't feel like running cables though my house much less taking the time to drop wire from the ceiling through the walls. I have a server setup outside that is LOUD, so I don't want to keep it inside. So I got a second WRT54G and set it up just the way you did. However, the router has like 5 ports (I converted the WAN port to a LAN port through DDWRT) and I can hook up to 5 devices via RJ45 to it.

Os sounds like the OP wants to use his router with NAT and connect to his neighbor via wireless WAN. I think DD-WRT can do this, but he will not have his own wireless without getting another AP..... or follow the other suggestion and buy a AP/Bridge and then use the DD-wrt unit for routing.

Me and my neighbor have decided to go halfsies on his Internet. I want connect my router to his router and have my devices (phones, laptops etc) connect to my own router. What is the best way to do this?

We both have wireless g modems and I just flashed my wrt54gl v1.1 with ddwrt. Setup a client bridge but I only get Internet on that computer only. The signal is good on my router to his router, but not my devices to his router. Hence, why I want my devices to connect to my router.

Any help would be appreciated and this would be a great learning experience as well.

http://www.connectify.me/

My apartment is rather large and our router is in the very front of the house. Because of this, I sometimes can get a weak or dropped signal on my laptop, ipad and iphone. I installed an old wireless card in my desktop and run this program and it works great for anyone using wifi in the rear of the house. I'm not completely sure if you can broadcast out of the same one you're receiving a connection from, but you could always just install two cheap PCI wireless cards if need be. Check it out.

BTW, if you can find version 2.5 on the internet, it's free to use (it will just ask you to upgrade when you boot windows... just ignore it). Otherwise with 3.0, you'll need to pay for it.

It's unsafe to run copper cable (coaxial, phone, network cable) between two buildings without grounding it. Sounds like wifi should work with some research.

Basically I want to extend his router with my router so that the signal isn't so weak on my devices. So would a AP be the best option? With ddwrt I can turn my router into an AP.

Last edited:
You don't need a separate AP device.

Since you've already configured your DD-WRT'd WRT54GL as a Client Bridge, there are just a few additional steps to turn it into a Repeater Bridge to re-broadcast a wireless signal. Bandwidth is reduced by about half as a result of sharing one radio for two separate connections.

You could also look into WDS bridging.

WDS is suck because it makes both your wifi networks slow. Get a wireless bridge like the WET610N and then feed the ethernet output of that into your router.

Also, plan out how you want to do the networking. You *could* run your router with its own NAT like you would if it were plugged into your modem, but then keep in mind you've got double-NAT.

Assuming you and your neighbor are friends, this will make it harder to share files. Also, port forwarding will have to occur twice. Other options are to put your WAP in bridge mode also to join the segments, then you could be on his network directly. You could still have your WAP do firewalling even though its not a NAT. Some of it depends on the features of your WAP / router.

Food for thought. What others have said tho about rebroadcasting isn't a bad idea either, but I'm not fond of the double-duty role.

Yeah I just saw meeho's post. I think a repeater is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone. Never used ddwrt before. This is pretty slick.

Another option:

Personally I'd just use a 200mbps power line adapter from his lan to your wan port and set your wireless to a different channel.

Problem solved.

Another option:

Personally I'd just use a 200mbps power line adapter from his lan to your wan port and set your wireless to a different channel.

Problem solved.

Don't know if power line E is going to work so well between houses. I can't even get it to work reliably between circuits on different subpanels in one house...

If you are using a 3rd gen 200mbps unit or one of the new 500mbps units and the distance is under 300 meters, AND there is not a transformer between houses, then yes it will probably work.

smallnetbuilder has some good articles on the recent powerline developments.

Back