Using my XP120 cooler on my FX55........

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Im using an XP120 with a sunon 120mm fan, AS5, and im only getting Idle temps of 32-33c with my fx55? I think this sucks, but what do you all think?

No one can tell you the answer to that data without assuming things, that would suck if your case temperature were -90C since the differential between the idle and the case temp would be 120C. Also, idle temps dont mean much it is the variance between the idle and the load temperature which really matters. Think of the heat output when your chip idles, not much, but when it is loaded it is what really tests the heatsink and if the differential between the idle and load temp is quite small then it is a sign of a good heatsink. If your case temp is 25C then 33C is a good reading for idle, but as i already mentioned it is the load temp and the differential between that and the idle that matters.

c00z said:
No one can tell you the answer to that data without assuming things, that would suck if your case temperature were -90C since the differential between the idle and the case temp would be 120C. Also, idle temps dont mean much it is the variance between the idle and the load temperature which really matters. Think of the heat output when your chip idles, not much, but when it is loaded it is what really tests the heatsink and if the differential between the idle and load temp is quite small then it is a sign of a good heatsink. If your case temp is 25C then 33C is a good reading for idle, but as i already mentioned it is the load temp and the differential between that and the idle that matters.
Well if this means anything, as soon as I was done benching w/ aquamark, I quickly looked @ my cpu temp and it was 39C. To me that is pretty hot, no? My OC'ed intel chip when it was OC'ed to 3.94GHz, only got to 36-37c at LOAD while playing HL2, but that was using a copper cooler (SP94)

newls1 said:
Well if this means anything, as soon as I was done benching w/ aquamark, I quickly looked @ my cpu temp and it was 39C. To me that is pretty hot, no? My OC'ed intel chip when it was OC'ed to 3.94GHz, only got to 36-37c at LOAD while playing HL2, but that was using a copper cooler (SP94)

Only 1c higher then my 2Ghz celeron after prolonged heavy load with an ambient room temp of 80f +/- 5f

So...sounds pretty good to me.

that is extremely good temperatures, yet you still managed to omit your case temperatures during idle or load and thus any conclusions about how well or bad your cooler is doing is almost irrelevant since they are based off of assumptions...

The best way to do it is using the C/W of the cooler and the CPU wattage.

Here is how you calc it, the cooler i am gussing is 02-.19C/W which means that for every watt applied to it, the temperature of the processor will increase by 02C ie 100Watts heatoutput would make a 20C rise above case temperature NOT AMBIENT, since it is using the air inside teh case to cool the heatsink. Thus I am gussing that your 55 puts out say 80Watts so 80*.2=16C rise above case temp, and if you case temp is 30C under load, then you are getting about 46C load temps, assuming that it is 0.2C/W and 80Watts output with a 30C load case temp

to fully understand if 39C load is good you need to tell us much more

cfm of fan (used to calc the C/W of the heatsink since it is dependant on the fan used), load case temp, load cpu temp and wattage of processor

hope that helps

I wouldn't complain I'm using an XP-120 with a 110CFM fan and my CPU idles at 35-39 and loads 45-48.
A64 3000+ @ 2.3

Major_A said:
I wouldn't complain I'm using an XP-120 with a 110CFM fan and my CPU idles at 35-39 and loads 45-48.
A64 3000+ @ 2.3

OH, gosh, that seems high :confused: There has got to be a better cooler.

Water cooling isnt much better with a super high cfm fan ie 120mm delta i think the xp-120 gets down to about .18C/W while water cooling is about .12 so with again 100W estimated heat load the difference is only 6C or 18C vs 12 C. You are using the best heatsink that is made and it is quite good at what it does. My guess is that your old motherboard underreported your temperatures while your new one does a more accurate job. Anything below 50C for a 130nm amd is good for temps, quite good. If you were running a 90nm I would expect it to be 3-4C colder but alas you are on 130nm

I would be super happy for what you are running temp wise

and as i mentioned twice earlier I cannot tell you how well it is doing if you dont give us a cfm rating for your fan or your case temperatures at load, so unless you give us these all things are best guesses

isp said:
is this your first time air cooling son? :p
No it isn't, but on my 2nd computer (P4 OC'ed to 3.93 using an SP94 with 92mm tornado) my load temps were NEVER, NEVER over 38c. Why is the FX55 run so much hotter? is it the built in memory controller that causes this?

I am sorry the load temps for your P4 must of been misreading they couldnt of been that low unless your case temps were below 20C ie are you in a basement?

Since the P4 at 4ghz would put out over 100Ws, even if it only puts out 100Watts the sp94 is essentially the same C/W as teh xp-120 so you should be getting at best 18C above case temp and my guess is that again at load 30C is about righ giving you 48C load

think again these processors are rated to i think about 85C so you are quite a bit under

Best bet is your old mobo was misreporting since a load temp is the 30's cannot happen unless your case temps are at about 20C during load which wont happen unless your ambient temps are liek 10C

So i believe your old temps if you live in a refrigerator

c00z said:
I am sorry the load temps for your P4 must of been misreading they couldnt of been that low unless your case temps were below 20C ie are you in a basement?

Since the P4 at 4ghz would put out over 100Ws, even if it only puts out 100Watts the sp94 is essentially the same C/W as teh xp-120 so you should be getting at best 18C above case temp and my guess is that again at load 30C is about righ giving you 48C load

think again these processors are rated to i think about 85C so you are quite a bit under

Best bet is your old mobo was misreporting since a load temp is the 30's cannot happen unless your case temps are at about 20C during load which wont happen unless your ambient temps are liek 10C

So i believe your old temps if you live in a refrigerator
Well, maybe my ASUS p4c800e was reading them wrong, that is possible i guess, but what im telling you is what the "asus PC PROBE" was telling me.

yes that is fine, and I am trying to explain to you given what I believe your case temp to be that isnt possible and it was under reporting..simply that, and that given a couple assumptions your current temps are better than average...maybe again a tad low

Back