Using my Latitude D420 in Japan

kunsunoke

Supreme [H]ardness
To the forum mobile computing gurus - I'll be traveling to Japan for a few weeks, and am aware that there will be a power issue for my Latitude D420 - namely the 50Hz / 100V power supplies in the Kanto (Tokyo/Yokohama) district. I'll be spending a few days in Kyoto, but since that's 60 Hz. I should be okay.

How and where do I get an adapter for this thing? Dell's corporate website is totally useless.

Have you looked at the power brick for the notebook? It should support 50 Hz / 100 V operation. I use a Latitude D610 and a few other laptops and all of them support that mode of operation (and I had to use it that way while over in Asia).

You're probably using the same power brick that I do (HP-OQ-65B83), so just look for the line saying "Input" and it should say something like 100-240V 50-60Hz.

Excepting really cheap junk most PC power supplies now are universal and just need a plug change to work anywhere in the world. I'm not sure if it's become sufficiently cheap to implement that it became less expensive than the more complex logistics system needed to support a larger number of models or the number of globe trotting business men grew high enough that it eventually became a standard option.

Back