Using my hosting plan for an online backup (via drive letter)?

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
I pay for a web hosting plan that has "unlimited storage" as one of it's features. I have had the idea of using this feature to provide a "roll your own Carbonite" system by mapping a drive letter on my desktop at home and at work with an FTP account. Sadly, Windows won't do this inherently and the other solutions I've found either cost $$ or cause crashes...

Are any of you aware of a way to pull this off? I'd basically like a "folder in the cloud" that all my desktops (either at home or at work) can connect to for file sharing --but I want to use the resources I'm already paying for. Any ideas?

I guess the alternative would be something like Amazon's S3?

You should read your webhosting provider's Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy. A lot of the "unlimited" webhosting providers really aren't unlimited, and have policies that prohibit using your storage space as private backup storage.

You should look at getting a VPS or dedicated server if you plan to run with this service. Amazon S3, I believe, can be used for storage.

One other thing you should do is encrypt the files prior to putting them on this remote storage, incase your provider's server gets compromised.

There are company that do backup off site. I recall over in the storage forum that several people have done it and i seen recommendation for such services. I check out a backup service before looking into a VPS or dedicated server.

Back