Using my Digital River key on my Retail Win7 home premium? possible?

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So im having issues like basically everyone else with the download version of windows 7, from Digital River. The college $29.99 Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit edition. It came in 3 files, i created it to be a ISO, it has a error message pop up as i click the first "install now" option, it goes to "Setup is copying temporary files" then it pops up error: 0x6

So i bought from costco, the same Windows 7 Home premium edition (pre-order special, 50 bucks) And i am curious can i put that DVD in, install (clean install) and use the key from Digital River? And then when i install the costco one on my laptop (the original reason i bought it) i will use the key thats on the box. Is that totally do able? Make sure you are 100% !!!!! sure please...Thanks

(Btw i did order the backup DVD from Digital River so im not like freakin out..but that does come in 2-4 weeks)

If you're upgrading an existing system (XP or Vista) that should work fine. The install files from the download are the same as on the disc.

If you're trying to do a fresh install on a new drive (without a previous XP or Vista on the system) you may have a few extra hoops to jump through and it may not work depending on the key you got from DR.

Last edited:
Just so you get the facts, my PC i orignally wanted Digital River download version for is XP i want to clean install to 7.

The laptop is Vista ultimate i want to clean install to windows 7

Sorry, I mixed up my terminology. You should be able to clean install over those existing systems with the one disc and two different keys. If it doesn't take your key during the regular install, just install anyway without a key. Then after it finishes the install, go in and activate with your key.

The case where 32-bit DR keys have been hit and miss is trying to install to a completely new drive without a previous system.

So, you should be okay. As I said, the DR download install files are the same as the ones on the disc.

Last edited:
Back