Using metal wire to hang data cabling, should I ground it?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I use screw eyes to run network cabling and other data cabling around the house, and while adding some cabling I decided to also run a metal wire so I can fasten the data cabling to it, making a tighter run, especially between joists where they hang a little.

Now I'm just wondering, is there any reason I would want to ground this metal wire? Could it act as an antenna and do weird things with the data cabling? The data cabling consists of mostly ethernet, but also cable TV, and misc stuff such as temperature sensors. Some of the cabling is also electrical (low voltage) such as 24vdc thermostat wire.

I'm thinking, no, but just wondering if maybe I should in fact ground it.

If it goes outside where lightning can get to it, yes. If it can come in contact with AC conductors, yes. Otherwise you should be fine.

Both of those should not happen so I should be good. I pass near electrical lines but it does not touch them. In most cases the electrical is passing through the joists while this line is just below the joist, so it has no chance of cutting through it or anything.

Back