Using laptop dvd drive in desktop case

dexx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
305
Has anyone had experience with using a latop dvd drive (eg Sony AD7710H01) in a small form factor case? I'm planning to mod a small case (either matx or itx) without sacrificing airflow too much. Using a laptop optical drive is one space saving move. Another is to reduce the size of the PSU (eg Silverstone SFX450).
 
Yes, but I had to find a special bracket to convert the laptop drive to a 5.25" bay. As I recall, it was a PITA to find that bracket...ended up being something normally used for rackmount cases. The upside was that there was room for a 3.5" card reader and the dvd drive in this thing.
 
Also bear in mind the SATA power plug on laptop DVD drives is mini SATA power (6 pin) not the standard 7 pin you find on HDDs. You will need an adapter like this: http://www.mini-box.com.au/purchase/browse-detail.asp?menuId=22&start=1&laCode=engau&productId=215

Note: The above store is Australian


US site for similar. I bought from them, as it was all I could find when I needed.

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/6-Pin-Slimline-Sata-Power-Cable.html
 
Back
Top