Using iPhones As Brake Pads

Oregon plates... great, from my state.

Still, nice to see a flamin' iPhone! :D

It was all going so well until the iPhones started burning.

I hope that Porsche's owner has deep pockets, I seriously doubt O'Reilly's carries replacement calipers for that car.

I hope that Porsche's owner has deep pockets, I seriously doubt O'Reilly's carries replacement calipers for that car.

It's a 996 ... aka the disposable 911. If the IMS fix hasn't been done to it, it'll self destruct sooner rather than later.

W... T... F...

I mean, he makes up a dopey story about why you would do this.

WHY!?!?

Just say "fuck it, we felt like doing this!"

Also... "We do have an e-brake..."

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW CARS WORK!

Uhm, unless my info is wrong, the e-brake is separate from the calipers. Either way, do explain how it stopped with the e-brake when the iPhones were completely destroyed.

Also... "We do have an e-brake..."

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW CARS WORK!

Err, yea, they do have the hand brake. How do they not know that it's a drum brake? Maybe they fitted a bunch of bent iPhone 5's in there... lol.

It's not one of those backwards new fancy electric dealies that uses the rear discs. I always wondered how one of those would stop a car. Probably pretty harshly since they just reef on when the button is pushed.

How come you always see this sort of stuff from Americans? Neither wonder why Apples Market share is so high in the states compared to the rest of the world.

More money than brains, apparently. I'm no car expert, but I'm pretty sure they figured out the brake pads some time back. Especially the Germans.

"you're in the mountains, and your brakes go out...."

so you use the ONE iphone you have? Who has even two iphones to use as brakes?

absurd premise. But I would have liked to see that porsche die in a fire. That would've been worth the views.

It's a 996 ... aka the disposable 911. If the IMS fix hasn't been done to it, it'll self destruct sooner rather than later.

All engines destroy themselves. The only reliable Porsche engines are the dry sump ones, GT series and the turbos.

Uhm, unless my info is wrong, the e-brake is separate from the calipers. Either way, do explain how it stopped with the e-brake when the iPhones were completely destroyed.

The iPhones may have been destroyed, but they're still there.

I don't really know how ABS works, but i assume the makeshift brake pads are messing with it and keeping the brakes from fully deploying (full deploy = wheels lock if using any normal brake pad). Emergency brakes bypasses the ABS and manually makes the calipers bite hard.

Possible?

I'm curious, do you have to bleed the brakes every time you replace the pads on those? Since it looks like it's a "single piece" caliper.

Seeing that pic made me smile.

On the other hand, why someone would install iPhones as brake pads is beyond me. What's next? iPads? How about he punch out the floor pan of the car and try stopping with his feet? LOL

These people should not be working on cars.

The iPhone is barely thicker than a normal brake pad backing. This means that the caliper pistons would have been pretty much extended all the way.

Which also means that the master cylinder was probably pretty much empty and they were just pumping air into the lines each time they pushed the brake pedal down. That is why it was "spongy"

If they had sufficient thickness and a full master cylinder, there would have been absolutely nothing left of any of the phones.

The e-brake on 4-wheel disc systems is generally a drum brake setup on the rear that uses the inner part of the rotor as the drum. That is why the e-brake was still functional.

Shit, I've had rear-drum brake cars so long, I didn't even think of the fact that a rear-disc-brake car would have a separate drum for the e-brake...

W... T... F...

I mean, he makes up a dopey story about why you would do this.

WHY!?!?

Just say "fuck it, we felt like doing this!"

Yeah, gotta love that story of "brakes went out and you and some friends are stranded...." instead of trying to walk to someplace that has signal to call for help lets just use these really expensive NOTBRAKEPAD as brake pads and potentially kill ourselves :D

That said, I've burned through my brake pads before and had metal on metal grinding, destroyed my brakes completely, very expensive fix... still stopped the car though :)

If any of you guys actually took that explanation seriously I would suggest looking up the definition of a joke :eek:.

The e-brake on 4-wheel disc systems is generally a drum brake setup on the rear that uses the inner part of the rotor as the drum. That is why the e-brake was still functional.

Interesting. I thought ebrakes were cabled to the calipers. Didn't know the car also had drum brakes.

Back