Using iMac for Display

maverick786us

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
2,416
I am getting an offer of refurbished iMac with 27 inch display for 1299$. Since I need a Mac PC for programming in iPhone and iPad and in addition I have a requirement of a 27 inch display with 2560 X 1440 resolution for gaming.


So can use a whole iMac (not apple cinema display 27) to serve as a monitor also to which I can connect my gaming PC having IB and HD 7870 configuration?
 
An HD 7870 will output to the iMac display as long as the iMac is a last gen model that still has a mini display port. Then you'll just need a mini display port to Display adapter. No software to do it is required. Just connect the PC to the iMac and turn the PC on and the 7870 will output to the iMac.
 
An HD 7870 will output to the iMac display as long as the iMac is a last gen model that still has a mini display port. Then you'll just need a mini display port to Display adapter. No software to do it is required. Just connect the PC to the iMac and turn the PC on and the 7870 will output to the iMac.

He would just need a miniDP->miniDP cable unless he has the ASUS 7970 DCII.
 
I thought thunder port was backwards compatible with mini display port?
 
I thought thunder port was backwards compatible with mini display port?

Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with mini-DP ONLY in one direction. In other words, you can plug a mini-DP device into a TB port. But you CANNOT use a TB device with a mini-DP port. So the OP cannot plug a TB monitor into a mini-DP video card sadly.
 
if i read it right you would need a kanex hd (i think thats right) but the imac has to be mdp not tb for it to work
 
Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with mini-DP ONLY in one direction. In other words, you can plug a mini-DP device into a TB port. But you CANNOT use a TB device with a mini-DP port. So the OP cannot plug a TB monitor into a mini-DP video card sadly.

Correct. Yet more Apple stupidity.

1000
 
I do this at work with my 27" iMac. It will NOT work with the new models that come with thunderbolt. All you need it a displayport to mini-displayport cable (or mini DP to mini DP depending on what port your video card has). A $5 Monoprice cable will do fine. Once connected you can use Command+F2 to switch between the iMac being displayed and the PC.
 
Back
Top