Using IDE Syjet drive in USB Enclosure

Bulwark

Limp Gawd
I have this EIDE internal syjet drive and I figured I'd try and make use of it. Didn't want to stick it in my computer, so I put it in an usb enclosure. I can't seem to figure out how to get Windows XP to recognize it though.

Google turned up some stuff, but it was mostly related to the SCSI version. Any ideas why I can't get this to work?

I don't think most will remember, or know what these are:

IDE or SCSI interfaced drive with 1.5MB cartridges.
Supported on both Mac and PC
released in 1996

I would think that it's possible that the device will not support connectivity through USB because the device has some sort of firmware that must be loaded during system POST by the host BIOS, or that the controller inside the drive does not support the hot-plug nature of the USB interface. Or, maybe it's just too damned old to be working anymore?

what happens if you actually hook it up to the internal IDE interface?

Your problem is your enclosure. It doesn't have a full IDE controller on the internal device side. The Syjet requires an enclosure which does full IDE for the device, including understanding master/slave, and full USB translation on the host side. You also should try changing the device jumpers from Master to Slave, as some enclosures require the actual device be set to Slave.
I still use a good number of SyQuest carts for old data, because of how resilient they are to, well, everything.

EDIT: I didn't explain it very well, let me try again.

Last edited:
Well I'll be. switching the device the slave actually worked. Thanks!

Apparently only one of my syjet cartrige is still working, and I can't seem to do anything besides actually seeing what files are on the cartridge. Gotta figure out whether it's because the cartridge is damaged or if it's a case of something not set right.

Hahah thats killer you got it working. I "Wiki'd" the drives after reading this, pretty cool stuff.

Well I'll be. switching the device the slave actually worked. Thanks!

Apparently only one of my syjet cartrige is still working, and I can't seem to do anything besides actually seeing what files are on the cartridge. Gotta figure out whether it's because the cartridge is damaged or if it's a case of something not set right.

Any time. I've done this particular dance many times; I used to abuse a SyQuest 235 parallel housing for various 3.5" devices. It's not a new thing to me. ;)
Being unable to read/write to the cart though, that may be the enclosure rather than the drive or cart. SyJets are touchy with regards to IDE implementations, because of the need to not only present device absence/presence, but also signal read-only versus read-write modes. The best bet is to find a USB housing for a CD-RW or DVD+-RW drive, as those should have all the necessary bits to keep a SyJet or SparQ happy.

Wish I could answer that one, but I can't. I'm not at all familiar with those. I'm mostly using Cypress controllers, for what that's worth.

Back