using i3 2100 for gaming

buschman31

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
3,640
I'm thinking of buying an used i3 2100 for $50+tax. I do some light gaming like steam and somewhat older/newer games and web browsing.
My question is any suggestions for a good matx ddr3 board that has at least 4 memory slots and would the 2100 be a good viable cpu?
I'm currently using a Zotac 775 w/ e6420+2x2gb memory+HIS 3870 but its not good for gaming. I sold my am3+ Asus board that was using an x4 945 with 2x2gb+1x4gb and a HIS 3870 vid card.
My intentions was to get another ddr3 am3 board to use with the x4 945 and ddrr3 memory I still have. I didn't have any problems playing steam games maybe with an occasional lagging since i'm not knowledgeable bout oc'ing the memory or cpu.
 
i3 is good enough for gaming, any 1155 board from MSI, Gigabyte, or Asus would work fine, and put the rest of your money into a good GPU.

The i3 2100 cannot really be overclocked anyways.
 
An i3-2100 is more than enough CPU to game on for the vast majority of games. I have a 2100 rig down in the sig with a GTX460 Hawk that will run frame for frame with the same GPU in a 4.6 GHz 2600k rig at 1920x1080 in most games. Only in more CPU-heavy games, such as WoW for instance, can I see a framerate difference at all. Long as you're not going extremely heavy on GPU and resolution, a 2100 for $50 is an excellent place to start.

The board it's in down in the sig was simply the cheapest Z68 board I could find at the time. Think I paid $60 a couple years ago, zero problems. And equivalent Z77 board that you could upgrade to a K-sku CPU in later would be fine if you're trying to keep price down.
 
Back
Top