Using headphones and speakers...

Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
626
With my new Audioengine A5s and AuzenTech Prelude in route I completely forgot about the use of my Audiophile AD700 headphones! I know that the headphones can be connected via the soon card, but was curious if any one can suggest an alternative method that would not hamper sound quality in any way? I know this can be done, but would appreciate some recommendations on some good quality products. I will be getting a subwoofer at some point, so I'm sure if that factors into the equation too?

Thanks for the help!
 
Budget? DAC and/or Amp?

Hmmm....good question! I guess anything under $100.00. I think I just need something basic, but am open to a more complex solution. I'm no audiophile so I'm a bit lost when it comes to amps and the like.
 
If your computer case has a front panel headphone jack, then you can just run the cable and connect it to the prelude. (see the user manual for this - available at the Auzentech website).

This will be your easiest solution and cheapest to boot.

The next route I would go is with a nice headphone amp and/or DAC (combo unit is possible).
With a DAC you can usually feed the headphones via USB or Digital coax/optical connection.
This will free up the Prelude's analog outs for your receiver or speaker system.

I'm not fond of using splitters if you don't need to.
 
Yeah, you just need to save up a couple hundred for your next addition. No hurry though. It will do fine as is.
 
If your computer case has a front panel headphone jack, then you can just run the cable and connect it to the prelude. (see the user manual for this - available at the Auzentech website).

This will be your easiest solution and cheapest to boot.

The next route I would go is with a nice headphone amp and/or DAC (combo unit is possible).
With a DAC you can usually feed the headphones via USB or Digital coax/optical connection.
This will free up the Prelude's analog outs for your receiver or speaker system.

I'm not fond of using splitters if you don't need to.
Not for under a 100. That won't get you much for a amp/dac.. But the kids not really into good sounding audio, so the splitter will work fine.
 
Not for under a 100. That won't get you much for a amp/dac.. But the kids not really into good sounding audio, so the splitter will work fine.

Obviously for an amp/DAC he's gonna have to save up a bit. But he does have AD700's and he did say that he doesn't want degraded sound quality. So I'm not sure where you get the idea that the op is not into good sounding audio?
 
Obviously for an amp/DAC he's gonna have to save up a bit. But he does have AD700's and he did say that he doesn't want degraded sound quality. So I'm not sure where you get the idea that the op is not into good sounding audio?

My fault actually. I didn't mention a price range right away and being a new audiophile I am completely unfamiliar with the cost of amps/DAC. I can make to do with a splitter, but would like to upgrade at some point. From what it looks like $100 won't get me much right now. I'm becoming more of an audio snob though hehe.
 
Back
Top