Using HDTV as PC monitor (laptop to TV)

I'm planning on getting a nice 50" or so HDTV whenever the PS3 releases, and I am thinking of trying to use it as a PC monitor as well.

My laptop will output up to 1600x1200 resolution via VGA-out (no DVI :(). Assuming I get a TV with VGA-in or somehow convert the VGA to HDMI or something, will it look good at the TVs native resolution of 720p? Is it possible to create a custom resolution of 720 vertical for the television since that is not a standard output resolution of the laptop?

Thanks.

If you can afford a nice 50" plasma then you sould have no problems getting a new card. Just make sure the TV has a DVI-in.

To my knowledge, when your laptop detects the new monitor, it will come up with an appropriate resolution range for you. If it doesn't detect the monitor as anything but "default monitor", you can specify "Plasma TV w/ some resolution".

With newer technology though, DVI Ports on monitors are slowly being diminished due to HDMI (High Def. Multimedia Interface). The good news is there's a cable out there that goes HDMI DVI or vice versa, which allows you to connect a DVI device up to a tv with HDMI (or a tv that doesn't have DVI).

Just something to be aware of :)

logo29a said:
If you can afford a nice 50" plasma then you sould have no problems getting a new card. Just make sure the TV has a DVI-in.

Maybe you could help me out? I used your advice and bought an nVidia 6800 PCI-E, but it won't fit in my laptop! :( Help!

;)

blindrocket said:
Maybe you could help me out? I used your advice and bought an nVidia 6800 PCI-E, but it won't fit in my laptop! :( Help!

;)

LOL... if you hadn't made that comment i would have.

Most HDTV come with "Y,Pb, Pr" connections... correct?

And i think i saw on some internet site a VGA-RGB cable... which can be used to connected ur pc to the HDTV!

RGB, s-video,YPrPb connections are all garbage for what you want. I have a 46" Samsung DLP hooked up through dual link DVI-D and it works perfectly. Make sure you get the correct type of DVI connector as there are about 4 different kinds. Dual-link DVI-D would be your first choice tho.

component cables will work fine for what he wants, as a matter of fact, in certain applications, component connections provide a better picture than either dvi/hdmi (i know... i've tried it on mine...)... without experimentation, there's not a definitive "this is better"...

i wouldn't use a rgb or s-video connection though...

ccotenj said:
component cables will work fine for what he wants, as a matter of fact, in certain applications, component connections provide a better picture than either dvi/hdmi (i know... i've tried it on mine...)... without experimentation, there's not a definitive "this is better"...

i wouldn't use a rgb or s-video connection though...

Umm what ? DVI-D is the only true digital connection. DVI will always provide a much more clear and crisp image then YPrPb. One of his criteria was that we would use his TV as a computer monitor. Without using DVI-D text will become hard to read.

Component cables will never provide a better picture then DVI or DVI. Component are analogue connections, DVI & HDMI are digital. If you are getting a better picture quality with YPrPb then you have an issue with your DVI connection, or compatibility.

no, draax, i have neither a problem or are seeing things... :)

dvi/hdmi is not "always" better...

i thought the same as you, until i tried some different things (at the behest of my a/v "guy", who sat there and proved it to me)... i'm not saying he won't get a better picture with dvi (because on some sets we did, on others we didn't, and it differed also dependent on the source feed)... what i'm saying is to definitively say "component will be garbage" isn't true... imo...

Draax said:
Component cables will never provide a better picture then DVI or DVI. Component are analogue connections, DVI & HDMI are digital. If you are getting a better picture quality with YPrPb then you have an issue with your DVI connection, or compatibility.

DVI is a superior connection to Component, but that doesn't always mean you will get a better picture that way with all set ups.

First off, some TVs with DVI inputs end up converting the signal back to analog then back to digital again before display, just due to ass-backwards design issues. Second, DVI can be subject to the shimmer effect over long runs. Third, some DVD players/sources use different output stages for analog vs. digital output, and for some reason, the digital one is more messed up than the analog.

Everything being as it should be, yes, DVI should always look better, but due to manufacturers doing odd things, incompatibilities, and just quirks in certain equipment, it isn't always the case.

It doesn't matter guys. He only has VGA out. I believe that the panasonic 50px500u has a VGA input.

Back