Using ftp or setting up http server

codename47

Gawd
I want to be able to access my home files at work over a secure password protected connection... basically I want to goof off... listen to music, files, etc.... My network is set up off a dlink router which is connected to my cable modem. what do I need to do at my work end and then also what do I need to do to set up something like this at my house?

Originally posted by versello
VPN into it.

I would sugeest this as well. i use VPN and the you can remote destop to xp pro if your running it.

I don't know much about VPN but is it doable when I'm at work (work for a large company with a nasty firewall)... The work compuers are running windows 2000pro ... is there any conflict b/w operating systems 2000pro and XPpro? Enlighten me...

On your home computer, go to system in the control panel...go to remote, check the remote desktop connection box (the bottom one), create a user for it, get your ip, bring it to work, and use remote desktop connection (XP) to dial into it. If your not on xp at work, i belive terminal services (2k and below) will work. Then you can actually see your desktop and have access to all your files.

I don't think you need a VPN for this, as your work probably blocks it. If you have a firewall at home make sure you open the remote desktop port. If you have a big time network at your work they may be blocking this port as well on their end..

Originally posted by codename47
I don't know much about VPN but is it doable when I'm at work (work for a large company with a nasty firewall

It depends on whether your work firewall blocks TCP protocols 50 and 51. Check with your security administrator.

Back