using DVD Decrypter to make a playable file?

DatHak512

Gawd
Okay, my family just put all of their home videos on DVDs, and the place that did this for us wants the DVD-RWs back. So i'm using DVD Decrypter to make VIDEO_TS folders, and that goes fine, but what i don't know is how to use the files in those folders to make .avi / .mov / .mpg / .mov / .dv files that i can play back on my computer. Can anyone give me a hand with this? Thanks.

DatHak512 said:
Okay, my family just put all of their home videos on DVDs, and the place that did this for us wants the DVD-RWs back.
That is the most retarded thing I've heard in a while. Why don't they just ask for $2 from you to replace them...

Anyway, any DVD viewing software will play the .vob files. Nero Showtime and Power DVD for example will play those without having to convert them either. This is the lazy man's way around. :D

you have to re-encode them (if you want the smaller file size to save your hard drive ;) ).. there are tons of tutorials and programs on www.videohelp.com ;) They have forums too incase you have detailed questions that some people here might not be able to answer. I'm know how to do all that stuff, but it would take along time to explain, and you have a little to learn. Some good programs I use though are.. TMPGEncoder, Flask, VirtualDub, Nero, and DVD2AVI.. the list goes on. Just go into the tutorials section of the website and you will find everything in detail of what you need. Heres a link to all of the guides.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

S1nF1xx said:
Why don't they just ask for $2 from you to replace them
Heh, well the problem is that i'm a cheapskate, and i talked my folks into going the DVD-RW route so we wouldn't get charged extra, and i told them that i'd copy the discs later, so they could return them... :) But i'm lazy and it's almost time for me to leave to go back to school, so i'm trying to get this done!

Anyway, i just got the idea... how hard would it be just to burn a new DVD so that i'd have a copy that either they could play in a standard DVD player, or i could re-rip later and put onto my HDD? (Yeah, these things do take up a bit of HDD space!)

I've got a bunch of DVD-Rs... is all i have to do just burn the VIDEO_TS folders to disc? Thanks for the replies.

DatHak512 said:
Heh, well the problem is that i'm a cheapskate, and i talked my folks into going the DVD-RW route so we wouldn't get charged extra, and i told them that i'd copy the discs later, so they could return them... :) But i'm lazy and it's almost time for me to leave to go back to school, so i'm trying to get this done!

LOL, you cheap bastard. :D

I was going to suggest you just copy the DVD. Just pop it in and hit copy. But you weren't asking for that advice so I figured I wouldn't mention it. :p

Haha, yeah, well... :cool:
So you can just hit "copy" using DVD Decrypter? Did i get that right?

Back