Using Dual Screens w/ Macbook

El Spic

[H]ard|Gawd
I got my macbook hooked up to an LCD. an old Samsung Syncmaster 172T, but now when I drag my firefox window there firefox information appears on my book screen instead of my monitor. Anyone know how to fix this?

You mean you want the toolbar to be on the other screen? What you said really doesn't make any sense to me...

DejaMenu will allow you to pop the Menu bar up on the active display with a keystroke of your choice. ;)

When you go to Displays in the system preferences, you should have an option of where the menu bar should be.

I use my MacBook with an external display - and external KB and mouse. Runs with the display closed and never had a problem with it going to extended desktop mode.

I have 2 monitors one is my macbook monitor the other is my lcd. When I use both monitors at the same time, the firefox address bar memory (the thing that reminds you the full address that you are typing in) appears on my macbook even when the active window is on my other lcd.

Is there some sort of fix for that?

I have 2 monitors one is my macbook monitor the other is my lcd. When I use both monitors at the same time, the firefox address bar memory (the thing that reminds you the full address that you are typing in) appears on my macbook even when the active window is on my other lcd.

Is there some sort of fix for that?

I think you need to be more clear about what is on each display. What you described above sounds like the Firefox window is split and the address bar is on one display while the rest of the FF window is on the other display.

The question I would ask is what display contains the blue Apple in the upper left and the Spotlight magnifying glass in the right?

Dual displays + Camino works fine for me. I haven't used FireFox for quite a while now.

I think what he is talking about is when you are typing something into the address bar in firefox, but the drop down menu (say with past URLs that match) appears in the other monitor. Happened to me when I used an external monitor on my ibook, but I think it just went away after a restart or something like that.

Desktop.jpg

Notice that ?

ElSpic> That looks odd, but doesn't tell me much. How about a complete screen shot. Hit Apple+Shift+3 and it should give you a PNG or PDF file on the desktop. Please post that if you can.

Will do once I get to my 2nd job after my 1st Job.
Yes I have rebooted to no avail.

I know I had this problem too a while ago, but I cannot remember for the life of me what I did to fix it.

Personally I'd do one of two things (or both). Un-install your Firefox browser and re-install it. Or delete the Firefox preference file and see if it still happens. Another thing you should try is log in as a different user and see if it still happens.

desktop.jpg

It also happens when I right click on extended desktop. Only in Firefox though

desktop.jpg

It also happens when I right click on extended desktop. Only in Firefox though

What happens when you move the Firefox window to the other display (the one with the fighter jet on it)?

The way I read what you're saying, this doesn't happen in say Safari or Camino, correct?

When I move the firefox window to the fighter jet side, it works normally.

Only happens in firefox

When I move the firefox window to the fighter jet side, it works normally.

Only happens in firefox

As a test, I'd make the other display the primary display - i.e move the menu bar to the other window in Display Preferences. I'm guessing the problem will then be the reverse - that FF will work fine on the display with the fighter and have an issue on the blue display.

Wherever the menu bar is, that is where that address memory bar and right click menus open up.

Wherever the menu bar is, that is where that address memory bar and right click menus open up.

Using latest build/version of Firefox?

I'd also suggest following supergper's advice - create another user, log yourself out, log in as the new user and see if the behavior persists.

Back