Using dedicated NIC's for VM's - I want to run a router/proxy/PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of all things "virtualized", the networking part is what gets me confused. I use Virtualbox and am a convert from VMware when they switched to the browser based 2.0 and had a lot of problems just getting it running. All I can say is that I really like Virtualbox and they have a nice product for the home user, IDK how it stacks up with other home user versions.

So I want to run a computer that acts as a router, proxy, pbx server and possibly a web server. I figure that I can use the dual NIC's onboard and install a dual port NIC in a free PCI-E slot. I would use one port for the connection to the modem and then one for the LAN connection to the switch. I would use the other two, one for the PBX and one for the web server. Does this make sense? I'm only confused as to what to do when related to assigning the network adapters and in what mode.

Here is a image of the different options for the network adapters:
networking.jpg

When I setup a VM like Win7 that I use on my personal desktop that runs on the same machine as my desktop OS, I run the network adapter in bridged mode although I think it works in NAT as well but it may be a little slower, IDK.

So if I want to setup 3 servers on one machine, what is the best way to run the netowrk adapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back