Using copper pipes instead of plastic.....possible?

puck

Gawd
I was thinking of using copper pipes instead of plastic when I build a water cooling system and I was wondering if anyone else has attempted this before?

The only problem I can see is having enough room in my case and finding a way to connect the pipes to a standard waterblock.

I'm sure it's possible, as there are endless types of plumbing fittings and adapters out there. But why would you want to? Does anyone know how copper pipes would affect the performance?

It would look interesting, that's for sure.

Mostly I want it for looks, I like the industrial look of it. I'm thinking of doing a case mod with copper or brass plates and such.

I also think the metal pipes might help with cooling a bit, especially if I put some fans in the case that would blow air across the pipes.

ive seen it done, looks pretty neat and im sure its good for preformance.

very possible. They have tube benders that can bend this stuff to a pretty small radius... Less 'elbow' action as well!

Have fun replacing a CPU when you get all of this copper tubing set up. ;)

it should look great, and you could always use a small piece of tygon to connect the pump/block to the bulk of the toobing, and still get the look you are after, with out any vibrations issues, and if you have some air flow in the case, it should cool the water down some, if that is enough to really measure i dont know, but it should cool the water down a little bit.

i just spent a few minutes looking for a pic that i swear i had saved which showed a copper pipe setup. the guy that did it was a pumber so spent no cash to set the whole thing up, which is why he did it in the first place. he did it in a full tower case iirc.

the first computer wc systems used piping instead of tubes. the big problem is you have to braise every damn joint, or be good at plumbing so you know how to screw it in correctly (right orientation, all the way in, teflon joints, etc etc).

My only concern would be the heat conducting properties of the copper tubing. It would be great if you're always in a cool room -- the pipes will act somewhat like the channels in your heatercore. On the other hand, if you're in a warm room, those copper tubes will pick up unwanted heat from the air -- this could heat the water before it makes it to your block(s). I don't know if it's that big of a deal, but it's something to think about.

JVP said:
My only concern would be the heat conducting properties of the copper tubing. It would be great if you're always in a cool room -- the pipes will act somewhat like the channels in your heatercore. On the other hand, if you're in a warm room, those copper tubes will pick up unwanted heat from the air -- this could heat the water before it makes it to your block(s). I don't know if it's that big of a deal, but it's something to think about.

There's no way for the water to be cooler than room temperature, unless it's chilled. I don't think picking up unwanted heat will be a problem.

condensation won;t matter because the water is at/near room temp?

anywhich case, i doubt it will help much as far as performance goes...

Danny

zer0signal667 said:
There's no way for the water to be cooler than room temperature, unless it's chilled. I don't think picking up unwanted heat will be a problem.

I just figured most of the copper tubing would be in the case, (they would act somewhat like heat-pipes - picking up heat given off by the mobo/cards etc.) and the internal case temperature tends be higher than that of the environment; I don't think it's a big deal though.

JVP said:
I just figured most of the copper tubing would be in the case, (they would act somewhat like heat-pipes - picking up heat given off by the mobo/cards etc.) and the internal case temperature tends be higher than that of the environment; I don't think it's a big deal though.

That's possible, so really it depends on your case cooling and where you draw the air through the radiator from.

You'd better be happy with that combination of CPU and video card! I don't expect you'll be swapping out parts after firing up the system! I don't see any other problem with doing it though. I think it would look awesome -especially if you polish the copper and fittings. That thing would look sweet!

Back