Using centrino to create a personal LAN

hfusion

Weaksauce
Howdy howdy.

I go to DeVry university, Orlando. After our third semester, the school gives each student a laptop. Our laptops this year have centrino processors.

I was just wondering, is there any way i can set my laptop up to be a host so my friends can connect to me? It would be awesome if we could just sit in the school commons and wirelessly connect to each other and play some rainbow six 3 and stuff.

I dont think the centrino alone can broadcast a signal, so is there anything small i can buy that would do that? Like a USB item or a plugin card?

Edit: And yes, this probably was something stupid to ask, but I feel that the coolness factor of being able to do this was worth risking the possible ridicule :eek:

Also, i was just thinking, if anyone knows of a really really really small wireless router, haha.

And..what about bluetooth? I found some bluetooth adapters for 40 dollars. We could each buy one, but! Would a game pick that up as a LAN?

You could if you could battery power a Linksys router.

Actually, that can't be too hard! I would like to see that. That's the perfect network device!

surely there has to be a USB powered or pcmcia (sp) something out there that can broadcast? Or someway to power a router without a readily available power socket =(

I mean..centrino processors + friends + wireless lan = 10 on the cool scale.

I found this:
New Egg Link

It is a USB stick adapter, I believe it can share internet among other wireless users.

I also found this:
New egg link

i think im going to go with that last one if it will work. Anyone know if that would work? From what i can see, it doesnt require a power source.

Set your wireless configs to Ad-hoc, and build a workgroup like network that way. Works perfectly, no hub or switch needed.

sorry, i dont have the laptop yet , so i havnt been able to play with it.

So the centrino can be set to ad-hoc, and it will allow other network adapters set to ad-hoc read each other? HECK YEAH! Djnes, you the man.

Yes, it should work. We used to use Ad hoc when I was still taking classes at Drexel. We'd all sit at a table and form a small workgroup to share files and such. There was some minor gaming (such as UT and Q3), but not much more.

heh, well, me and about 5 other guys have a 2 hour wait till our next class ever tuesday and thursday. Games would make the time fly!

Originally posted by hfusion
Games would make the time fly!

Hate to burst your bubble, but most Centrino based notebooks I've seen have the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip, so don't expect to do any serious gaming. I have seen one with a Radeon 9200 though, so you might be lucky.

/me is impatiently waiting to go home since my new 3GHz HT P4 + Radeon 9600 laptop just arrived!

Originally posted by wolrahnaes
Hate to burst your bubble, but most Centrino based notebooks I've seen have the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 chip, so don't expect to do any serious gaming. I have seen one with a Radeon 9200 though, so you might be lucky.

/me is impatiently waiting to go home since my new 3GHz HT P4 + Radeon 9600 laptop just arrived!

Hmm, that cant be right. I know three people that have centrino based laptops, as well as myself, all of them have radeon 9000. Sure it's not the best, but with AA / AF turned off, it plays games no prob.

the absolute standard for centrino is IEG2. which is as good as a geforce 2 mx 200 or higher end TNT2

Back