• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Using car gauges with watercooling

Joined
Nov 1, 2010
Messages
5
I'm case molding my computer. I have an older Porsche gauge that includes a gas gauge ( sending unit is in the coolant reservoir) and a temperature gauge. Where can I find a temperature sending unit that will give me a meaningful reading (ie, a low reading at room temperature and a high one when the water is warmer)?

Stray
 
I'm not looking for super accuracy - just a quick glance "cool, warm, or hot" kind of reading. If I want accuracy I can use an infrared noncontact thermometer or similar - this is more for effect and fun. I just need to find a sending unit that will react at the lower temperatures I'm expecting to see watercooling - if I tried automotive ones, I would need my computer to run at about 260 degrees or so to reach the high end of the scale...

Stray
 
Looks neat, but not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a 12V temperature sending unit that will interface with an automotive gage. I'll probably just have to experiment with thermistors and make my own.

Stray
 
automotive temp guages are highly "normalized" and really don't offer what you are looking for.
 
Aren't OEM temperature gauges super inaccurate?

you mean like the temp gauage that according to the deal as long as its not red its ok?


but yeah they are not as accurate as the aftermarket stuff
 
I'm not looking for super accuracy - just a quick glance "cool, warm, or hot" kind of reading. If I want accuracy I can use an infrared noncontact thermometer or similar - this is more for effect and fun. I just need to find a sending unit that will react at the lower temperatures I'm expecting to see watercooling - if I tried automotive ones, I would need my computer to run at about 260 degrees or so to reach the high end of the scale...

Stray

Well when I say super inaccurate I mean really inaccurate though. Like +/- 50 degrees haha. They're only really meant to show at "medium" or "overheated" =p.
 
I would find the stock sending unit and have a candy thermometer and a pot of boiling water and a multimeter.

pull the resistance off the sender and find a temp probe of the same resistance to what temp you want to monitor.

Sounds like a lot of work but it shouldnt be
 
Back
Top