Using Cached mode in Outlook 2007 with IMAP?

mbrownnyc

Weaksauce
Hello,

I have a few usrs who are using Outlook 2007 with our IMAP server reporting issues that their Outlook goes into Offline mode, and is not able to send/receive (since it is in offline mode).

How do you all feel about configuring cached mode in Outlook 2007 with IMAP instead of Exchange?

Thanks for your time,

Matt Brown

I'm confused, aren't they downloading the emails with imap? Cached mode doesn't allow you to send when offline. It will just sit in your outbox, just as IMAP will when offline. Then when it connects the email will send.

I lack thorough understanding of cached mode in Outlook 2007 with IMAP. From my understand of Outlook and cached mode, it allows you to keep a cached copy of your exchange mailbox (populating the ost with your email).

However, I am experiencing offline being randomly reported on my Outlook 2007 clients, who are using IMAP, even when the IMAP server is reachable. The specific symptom I see is that the users are not receiving email; and Outlook reports Offline.

I came across a solution that stated to configure the account in cached mode, and I am curious if this will have a positive affect.

Additionally, suggestions included to configured the Outlook to automatically detect when the connection is reachable; yet another stated to configure Outlook to manual offline operation.

Since the clients are currently configured to automatically detect the connection state, I would assume that the following combinations would hopefully solve the problem: cached mode + IMAP (which is the main question in my original post) and/or configuring the "Offline detection" to manual.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Back