Using big HDTV as a monitor

pcperson

n00b
Hey, I was wondering what would be the best way to use a 60" HDTV as a monitor. I have the component out converter on my video card but when i connect it to the TV, I'm either stuck in 480 and everything is gigantic to the point that normal windws and installation windows dont fit. Or I'm in 1080 and everything is so small that you cant even read the fonts. There is no 720 on this TV. Would my best option be to use SVideo for this? or is there a program/box that can upscale/downscale the image to fit and be readable from 10' away. Any help or advice besides dont use a TV would be appreciated.

Is your TV a CRT RPTV (since you said it doesn't do 720)? Does your TV have a DVI or HDMI input?

If you use S-Video your going to be limited to 480, plus the colors will bleed so text will be harder to read. Even if your TV upscales 480 to 960/1080 you will still have the picture quality problems.

If your TV is widescreen and you use the 1080, that is like haveing a regular monitor running at 1900x1080 which isn't that bad. You can always set the Display properties options to large icons and fonts.

Well. I use the ATI Catalyst Center to configure the video card to run at an optimized resolution for 480 or 1080 so i dont have to scroll to the sides or up and down. If I use 480, it sets it to like 640x438 or something close to that, it's lower than 640x480. I can set it to 1080 and then it is either full screen and everything is tiny or it only takes up part of the screen so there is a black border around it. I have played with the text sizes and things like that which wont be a problem. The problem is text inside programs and websites. They aren't enlarged through windows. If i set it up in 480, I'm limited in size and most programs don't display correctly. If i set it in 1080, like i said, all the text is too hard to read from a distance. Is there a setting im missing or a program i can use to enlarge things besides the windows magnifier?

Back