Using Augmented Reality For Brain Surgery

HardOCP News

[H] News
Augmented Reality is great and I am really looking forward to seeing what the HoloLens can do but I'm not sold on AR brain surgery just yet. Watch how much the cursor in the video jumps around during the procedure. :eek:

I was just talking with my buddy who does eye surgery about this. He seemed skeptical, but interested.

No way in hell I would let something that jiggles around like that near my brain! rofl.. jeez.

Just wait for the first time they lose a patient because the system installed updates mid surgery!

Just wait for the first time they lose a patient because the system installed updates mid surgery!
Definitely still proof of concept phase. Could also be useful as a training aid though.

I think the big leap forward will be tele-operators, where a soldier can have a traumatic brain injury from an IED or something, they throw his ass in a nearby medical truck, strap him down, and you can have one of the top brain surgeons in America remotely unscrewing his shit up by wearing VR goggles and using some tools whose movements are translated on the other end, since otherwise it would be hard to recruit the docs and since they are a valuable limited resource can only be in one place at one time, but this way can be wherever the nearest mobile med truck is, which can be out on the front lines with the troops.

Back