using ATI tool

flynlr

2[H]4U
I have my x800pro with all 16 pipes enabled with bios at stock pro speeds 475/450. . what I am wondering. and think is common sense. is when gaming or benching. I boost the card up to 545/610 without any heat 38c/69c or stability issues. yet when doing other non3d things on the computer I back the card down to stock speeds. does this make sense I mean there is no reason to leave the card at the highest settings all the time right?

Ati cards slow down on purpose to keep the temps down. It will go up to your set clocks when you start doing something graphic-intensive.

P.S. What part of Utah are you from? I live in Provo.

The less you OC, the less stress your are putting on your card. During gaming, the extra mhz of an OC is beneficial, but you are correct in assuming that there is no point in leaving the card at that high speed during normal computing sessions. If the card throttles itself down during 2D work, or if you specify different speeds for different types of applications, doesn't matter - so long as it's running nice and cool when the OC isn't going to help.

In short, yeah, there is no reason to have it at OC'd speeds during regular, non-gaming use.

ATITools gives you the option to auto-detect 3d and load your overclock settings and reset them to default upon return to 2d. Look under Settings, 3D Detection.

Back