Using another HUB to expand the net... possible???

KamaL

n00b
Hi there everybody..

I'm thinking to make a network of 5-6 computers through a normal Router .... Something very "standard"..

The problem is that one of the pcs is located almost at 130 meters from the Router, so I thought to add another HUB in the half-way between the Router and the pc, and it "should" improve the signal, so I'll don't notice a big drop down in the network activity in the remote pc...

Is this possible??? Is using a HUB for such a goal a good choice??

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Thanx in advance...;

Kamal

Using a repeater (a hub) somewhere in the middle of that run would be fine. Doesn't have to be the middle. You have 100 meters to play with before you get out of spec. I'd probably go ahead and spend the extra 5 or 10 bucks and get a switch though. You won't notice any difference with just the one PC attached to it but if you expand a switch will be more efficient.

Gr8, thanx...

Actually I know that a switch would be better, but I already have a HUB in hand, so it's not worth buying a switch I think..

But do u think I'll feel a big difference between chosing a HUB or SWITCH??? What about pings for multuplayer games?? Will it have a big impact???

Thanx again ;)

If you are going to have just one computer connected to the hub, it wont make much of a difference

Back