Using an old PC vs Network Attached Storage

Boxerz

Limp Gawd
I bought a Synology DS212j NAS but I've been contemplating on selling it and using my current PC as my 'old' PC and building a new system.

Besides power consumption, are there limitations for PCs as servers versus NAS which is built specifically for servers. I never worked with Linux before but the software seems to be Linux based. I have been having issues trying to configure it to work with things like my XBOX360 which is quite a problem and Synology doesn't really support that.

The reason why I thought of using this or an older PC is because I already use it as my main sharing device. I stream movies on my laptop from my desktop PC and can easily read/write on this PC from another PC. I can remote login etc. I don't know if it's just my lack of Linux experience or Synology's software but the main thing it's good at is just backing up my files.

The PC will probably transfer files faster.

Other than power consumption, the other advantages to a small all-in-one unit - more reliable, don't need av or os updates, quieter.

I just use my main PC to house everything. i get tired of waiting for files to move back and forth, so I just add storage to my desktop and share it out. I don't spend money on PC stuff to wait. Other people in my house can wait for stuff but I'm not going to.

Back