• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using an old Celeron 1.1Ghz

chrimila

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
17
Hi all,

I am a novice to file servers so I am seeking your expertise for some needed advice. I plan on using Linux/Samba with a RAID 1 configuration. There will 2 computers connected along with a PS3 to stream mp3s and movie files. I currently have an old Compaq computer with the following specs:
1.1Ghz Celeron Processor
256MB of RAM
2 PCI Slots.
(There are no SATA I/O on the motherboard. All IDE)

I am swapping out the power supply with a Seasonic PS, bumping up the RAM to 512MB, and adding this SATA card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020
I will be adding two 750GB WD Green HD.

My questions are:
1) Is the Celeron Processor and 512MB of RAM sufficient?
2) Will the SATA card through the PCI Slot be fast enough to stream movies and mp3s to the PS3?

Thanks for any help and suggestions!
 
Last edited:
Yes. You should be all set, it's just a simple file server, you don't need anything fancy to make it dance.
 
Celly 1.1Ghz, thats prolly the die-shrink Tualatin version. 130nm vs the 180nm of most of those chips. I have a 1Ghz one running my dd-wrt box. Not a bad lil setup for something simple like that. Plenty of horsepower to stream movies or music.
 
@Ockie and @extide - Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to make sure the setup would be sufficient before I bought the power supply and the raid card.

Btw, does bumping the RAM from 256MB to 512MB help out much at all? Can i get by with 256MB?
 
You could probably get by with 256 mb ram, but it's also dependent some on exactly what you'll be running. I would recommend having 512 because then you have some overhead in terms of room for the OS tasks. You could also try and just get it started with 256, and if you feel like it's sluggish then you could just get some more :O

But if you have it laying around, go for it :)
 
@Ockie and @extide - Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to make sure the setup would be sufficient before I bought the power supply and the raid card.

Btw, does bumping the RAM from 256MB to 512MB help out much at all? Can i get by with 256MB?

I would try for at least 512mb of memory
 
Back
Top