Using Alienware motherboard in another case

ElementBilly

Limp Gawd
So last summer i bought an alienware aurora computer. My upgrade ability has been so limited I finally decided to buy a new case and psu. From everything I can tell it will work other then im not sure of how i will power my ram fan, cpu pump and case fans. This will be my first build and dont have alot of exsperience.

Can all case fans be powered straight through power supply?

From looking at the mobo I can see a power plug for cpu fan but the pump plugs into a separate card inside the case Im thinking just ditch their cooling and buy a Fan/heat sink of some sort.

Is it worth trying to use this Mobo or should i just buy another? id prefer to use it and save a little cash.

Heres some pic's of the board the fans plug into and the power cable of the board.

http://img530.imageshack.us/i/067ts.jpg
http://img202.imageshack.us/i/072yfa.jpg power cable of the board fans plug into
http://img413.imageshack.us/i/065on.jpgboard fans plug into

Last edited:
The mother board is x58 1366
I have i7 960
480gtx
6g of ram
2 hard drives

im wanting to sli my video card and need to upgrade psu. but theres no room for new psu and it uses one big massive plug that goes to every thing

yup just get yourself some 3/4 pin to 4 pin molex and directly connect them to the psu. just remember they will run at 100% 24/7. so if noise is an issue you may want spend the money on a fan controller.

shit guess i should of looked at the pictures first. i'd say just unscrew them from the old case connect them and either find a spot to screw them in on the case or motherboard tray. or take a piece of styrofoam and lay the fan controller board on the bottom of the case.

since theres no picture of the whole board im just taking guesses but thats going to be hell to setup correctly in a different case. good luck.

Without the original psu I wont have a way of powering the alienware controller. It would probably be worth the money to buy a controller and save the time.

to be honest you are better off selling the case/psu/mobo on ebay and buying a new board/case/psu.

Becareful, Dell use to use proprietry mobo bolt patterns, so you couldn't recase their guts.

Unless things have changed, Alienware uses very standard motherboards, and Chieftec makes their cases for them.

I would not be afraid of using the MB you have in a different case.

How does that fan/pump thing get power? Can you solder? You could probably reuse it easily if it has a standard plug to the MB or uses a Molex. A picture of that would be helpful.

Can you link your Alienware comp here....as you bought it from Alienware?

There should be fan headers and cpu headers right on the MB itself, and yes you can power the fans from the psu, or use a fan controller as you have suggested. I recommend the BitsPower controller.

Please provide a picture of your MB.

the main power cord is non standard, its 24 pin, but oddly shaped. got my new psu today and no way to plug it in. Decided to just buy a new mobo and make things easy.

Back