using a WRT350N as an access point - ???

cwolf78

Limp Gawd
I recently extended my existing lan to include another building on my property... while most of you wanted me to go with fiber (and I will probably do that one day) I used the existing 25 pair that ran between the buildings and put a ethernet extender on both sides the line. It works like a champ ! (yeah yeah, fiber would be better)
Now I wanted to have a wireless access point on the new part of the lan... so I ran out and bought a WRT350N router. I thought I could simply plug the network cable into one of the 4 ports and presto I would be in wireless business... wrong. I don't know what is going on ... at first it seemed like (according to google returns on the topic) I needed a crossover cable or maybe just some minor configuration changes within the router itself. However I now have a more serious problem... the WRT350N keeps rebooting over and over.
On the Gateway side (being fed by DSL) we have a 54g model linksys. This goes out to a larger switch in the main office. From the switch, the line in question, goes to the ethernet extender and pops out in the other building where I plugged it into the WRT350N... I know this is a real rat nest ... but there has got to be someway to make this work.

How often does it reboot?
Does it still do it without a cable plugged into it?

it reboots about once a minute and yes it does it without any cables plugged in.

Well obviously it's a problem with the WRT350N itself and I would return it.

Yeah, I would return the router and get another one.

On another note. If you just want a wireless AP at your other building, you are not simply going to be able to just plug that router in. If you don't disable the DHCP server on the new router you are going to be introducing a whole world of hurt onto yourself. . . . . . networks don't like multiple DHCP servers handing out the same IPs or IPs on different subnets. :D

ok, would you get the same model or is a better make/model available ?
Also, do you know of a step by step on how to do this that you could recommend.
Basically, besides disabling DHCP on the new router, what else do I need to do ? Thanks !

Honestly, I would recommend a buffalo WHR-G54s or their HP model. They have a very nice stock GUI that allows you to set it up for just an AP with a few clicks of the buttom that will automatically disable the DHCP server for you.

As far as guides go, read through the FAQ in this forum. It has a LOT of good information.

Good luck.

ok, would you get the same model or is a better make/model available ?
Also, do you know of a step by step on how to do this that you could recommend.
Basically, besides disabling DHCP on the new router, what else do I need to do ? Thanks !

Besides disabling DHCP on the router, you NEED to make sure that it's LAN IP is not going to conflict with anything existing on your current LAN, and you'll want to re-assign it to an IP that in the same range as your existing network..but outside the normal DHCP pool. Give it a reservation from your DHCP server.

By default Linksys routers are 192.168.1.1 on the LAN side. If your network already has a router on that IP, and you uplink a new router also on that IP...enjoy watching the lights on your main switch as they conflict with each other. So change the new router to something like 192.168.1.245 .245 is common for access points. Or if your existing network is something like 10.1.1.1, make it 10.1.1.245.

Uplink the new router to your existing network using a LAN port of your new router, to the switch on your main network. You will not use the WAN/internet port of the new router. Generally don't need crossover cables anymore..they're sort of becoming extinct...everything is auto MDI-X sensing now.

Back