• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using a SATA drive with an IDE drive...

slowbiz

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 24, 2004
Messages
2,457
Hey, I just got a new Seagate 160gb barracuda SATA drive. I'm using it as the primary drive on my computer, and I've got an 80gb IDE as my back up drive. The IDE drive is set up one one IDE cable with my dvd burner, and set as master. I'm having no trouble using both drives and what-not, but for some reason whenever the IDE one is actually plugged in it makes it so that Windows forgets it's display settings. Specifically, the screen saver and the 3d objects always revert back to the windows xp style blue and green. Why is it doing this? Is this drive interferring in other more subtle ways? I'd appreciate some brain power, I know you guys have it.
 
Check the boot order in the bios, it's trying to boot off the other drive first, you might be able to fix it by popping in teh install disk, booting from it, using the recovery consol and typing 'fixmbr' (i think that's the right command.)
 
I didn't have the ide plugged in when I installed windows. there's nothing on the drive other than mp3's and video's though.
 
defakto said:
Check the boot order in the bios, it's trying to boot off the other drive first, you might be able to fix it by popping in teh install disk, booting from it, using the recovery consol and typing 'fixmbr' (i think that's the right command.)

Did you check the above?

Doesn't matter if the drive doesn't have any boot info on it, it will still try to boot from it if it is first in teh boot order.
 
defakto said:
Did you check the above?

Doesn't matter if the drive doesn't have any boot info on it, it will still try to boot from it if it is first in teh boot order.
From the start, I've had the SATA drive set in the bios as the primary boot device. I ran fixmbr in the recovery console, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Could it possibly have anything to do with my drive configuration cable wise? I've got the barracuda SATA drive on my SATA 0 controller. I've got my 80gb IDE drive set as master and my dvd burner set as slave on the first IDE controller.
 
Back
Top