• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using a router as an access point

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,410
Now that I'm home from college, I'm running into a problem that I never thought about before. We recently moved, and got FIOS, however, the modem/router thing they gave us, is in my grandmother's den downstairs, so everything I have has to be wireless. It's not possible to move it, and it's not possible to run cables, so I'm stuck to wireless. I did a bit of research, and I found that it's possible with some routers to use the router as a wireless bridge, so I could just plug my computer into the router and have that pick up the wireless signal. I did some research on my router (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314022) and from what I've found, it seems like it would be possible to do it using that router, but everything I found, including that in the manual I found online, seems to be poorly written and hard to follow. Is it possible to use that router to connect to the pre-existing wireless network, and if so, will I be able to connect both my desktop and my Xbox360 to it without issue?
 
The success of bridging wireless is not 100%..and that % goes down fast as you start mixing brands.

Since relocating it or running wires is not an option...I'd recommend looking at ethernet over powerline adapters.
 
The success of bridging wireless is not 100%..and that % goes down fast as you start mixing brands.

Since relocating it or running wires is not an option...I'd recommend looking at ethernet over powerline adapters.

Just doing some quick research on the powerline adapters, it seems that they have either horrendous speed (I need to be able to hang at around 50 ms in games, current wireless has me around 60, which is fine), or are so expensive it would be cheaper just to buy a wireless card and wireless adapter for my 360.
 
Just doing some quick research on the powerline adapters, it seems that they have either horrendous speed (I need to be able to hang at around 50 ms in games, current wireless has me around 60, which is fine), or are so expensive it would be cheaper just to buy a wireless card and wireless adapter for my 360.

Speed is not lag time...just FYI ;)
 
Speed is not lag time...just FYI ;)

I had jut woken up when I wrote that, gimme a break :p. Regardless, most still offer bandwidth on the level of the old wireless B networks, which is completely unusable. The entire point of me trying to use a router was to save money, not spend it on something that is more limited in use (couldn't use it when I move back to campus) and offers worse performance.

Does anyone have any experience setting up a router as a bridge? How difficult/time consuming is it to set up?
 
How are B speeds unusable? Sorry but you are totally incorrect there...especially for gaming and internet usage. For network usage I would agree it is a lot slower than say wired 100mbps or G, but for internet usage it is not an issue usually.

B is much faster than most internet connections even today. Most cable and DSL packages will max out at 10mb. There is FIOS and some areas that have faster services, but generally there is not, and most still do not pay for them. Plus for gaming you do not need anything nearly that fast...
 
B would result in lower speeds than I get now. Regardless, that's not the point, as I'm not paying more for something that is slower.

Back to the topic, does anyone have any experience in using a router as a bridge?
 
Yes, I do.

The OEM versions usually are picky about working with anything but the same OEM brand. DD-WRT has worked really well though for me on WRT54GL with any other brand.
 
Just doing some quick research on the powerline adapters, it seems that they have either horrendous speed (I need to be able to hang at around 50 ms in games, current wireless has me around 60, which is fine), or are so expensive it would be cheaper just to buy a wireless card and wireless adapter for my 360.

The newer second generation ones are rated for 200 megs transfer speeds..actual benchmarking shows true speeds of closer to 80-90 megs...drops to 50..even down to 30 or so if the home electrical wiring system is old 'n crappy. Compare this to wireless..G is rated to up to 54 megs..but in the real world..even ideal..it's more like 15-18 megs..and it does down from there. N draft wireless..working on 270, 300, eventually 600 megs...real world...at best a little above 100 megs..does down from there.

Don't confuse transfer speeds..as having any relationship to online gaming performance.

Wireless gaming...occasional hiccups, added lag, etc. If you're used to low latency..and move to wireless..it sucks..flat out sucks compared to wired.
Powerline adapters...not wireless...wired...no added latency such as wireless has. I've used 'em both...wireless sucks compared to wired for online gaming.

Having used them both..and having done wireless bridges with DD-WRT firmware...I'll take wired without blinking an eye.
 
Looked up DD-WRT and it looks like with the Belkin routers, it can be somewhat risky due to the possibly of permanently screwing up the router. Have you ever had any luck using the default bridge mode in the router?
 
Looked up DD-WRT and it looks like with the Belkin routers, it can be somewhat risky due to the possibly of permanently screwing up the router. Have you ever had any luck using the default bridge mode in the router?

Yes..have done bridging using Belkin routers both in stock firmware..and with DD-WRT. And...some Belkin routers also supported being flashed with Linksys firmware..since some models shared the exact same system board/chipset.

It works.."OK". Sometimes have to go reboot 'em.
 
Considering I already have the router and wouldn't have to spend money on anything new, I could deal with rebooting it every now and then to be able to use it. Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent job over the sumer, so if it doesn't work as well as I thought, I'll be able to afford a wireless card/adapter in a month or two. Is it difficult to set up? Or is it fairly straightforward? (Networking is one thing that has always eluded me as being able to do well)
 
Back
Top