Using a PPTP connection for ICS

fowen

Gawd
We currently have all the hardware and software setup for the VoIP to work (it works on our internal LAN) but the problem I have is getting the phones to work in remote locations.

I know the most common practice is to use a VPN Endpoint (like a BEFSX41) to connect into a IPSec VPN but it looks like you have to have static IP's at both ends for IPSec to work properly and we can't get static IP's at the users houses (since they are using a home internet connection).

We are currently using a PPTP connection for the users to connect into the LAN from home and do work over RDP. What I am hoping can be done (I hope I can explain this good enough) is add a second NIC card into their home machines that the i2004 sets will use to connect through to the PPTP connection when they connect in to use RDP.

I have messed around with ICS on the VPN connection but I can't seem to get it to work, I think I am missing something (like the right IP address settings). Does anyone have any experience with this or have an idea on how I can make these i2004 sets work without a IPSec connection?

Thanks,

Frank

This should probably be in networking and security but maybe I'm missing something.. These users all have a pc and are connecting into your server with a VPN connection, The outside users dont need a static IP they only need to set the client to your static IP, why do you want to set up RDP at the office for them.. help me what am I missing

From what I understand you need a Static IP at both ends to use IPSec. This is why I thought we could use their current machine as a gateway to connect into the VPN (Since they are already using the PPTP).

They are already using RDP to do their daily computer tasks because our Internet connection is only a cable connection with a maximum of 1mbps upload speed so everything runs slow.

The RDP really doesnt matter in the situation I am in. The problem I have is connecting the i2004 phones into the VPN. PPTP is already configured on the users machines so I thought I could throw a second NIC card in the machine (to connect the phone to using a crossover cable) and use ICS on the PPTP VPN connection to allow the phone to connect when the user connects to the PPTP VPN connection manually.

Back