• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Using a Nvidia AGP and ATI PCI card simultaneously

tim0chen

n00b
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
50
I recently purchased 2 new LCD monitors as well as a second graphics card so that I could hook them both up via DVI. I already had a Nvidia Ti4400 AGP card setup, but I bought an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card for my second monitor becuase it was cheap, and I didn't forsee that there could be compatability issues between the 2 cards.

Anyway, when I install the ATI PCI card and boot my computer, it enters the Windows splash screen, then the screen turns black. The cursor is still there, and I can move it around, but I can't get past the black screen.

Any ideas?
 
have you tried moving the pci card to a different slot? try every slot.
 
tim0chen said:
I recently purchased 2 new LCD monitors as well as a second graphics card so that I could hook them both up via DVI. I already had a Nvidia Ti4400 AGP card setup, but I bought an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card for my second monitor becuase it was cheap, and I didn't forsee that there could be compatability issues between the 2 cards.

Anyway, when I install the ATI PCI card and boot my computer, it enters the Windows splash screen, then the screen turns black. The cursor is still there, and I can move it around, but I can't get past the black screen.

Any ideas?

You could try entering Safe Mode (F8 at startup), and removing the Nvidia/ATI drivers then try reinstalling them, however Nvidia and ATI drivers don't play well together. I'd get the dual DVI card the earlier poster linked. Also make sure the ATI card is in the second PCI slot down from the AGP port, generally it will get the best resources there.
 
JSquid said:
have you tried moving the pci card to a different slot? try every slot.
Indeed. The AGP and 1st pci slot almost always share an IRQ.
tbh I don't know if ATI and Nvidia play well together.
 
I had a similar setup with a Ti 4400 AGP and a 8500LE PCI.

Much to my disgust I had to realize that the ATI card is screwing this up hardware-wise, or maybe in its BIOS. It would absolutely not be able to initialize the displays properly. Under Linux you would get one shot after cold boot and it brought up all displays on both cards. But reinitialization of the graphics subsystem without reboot would not work.

I got a PCI FX 5200, problem solved. ATI banned from my systems, more problems solved.
 
Back
Top