Using a Litebeam in town (suburbia)

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by ICE_9, Jul 1, 2018.

1. ICE_9

ICE_9 2[H]4U

I am wondering how well the Litebeam 5AC 23db antennas work in town for a point to point link. Buddy of mine has crappy internet locked at 20 Mb and wants to use my subdivision 100Mb. Distance is .6 miles as the crow flys. From maps, only about 3 meters difference in topography change. Ideas?

2. bds1904

bds1904 Gawd

You are aware you will need clear line of sight from one site to the other right? In town this often requires a mast at one or both sites.

Ocellaris likes this.
  3. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Limp Gawd

Most city (and HOA) laws wont allow you to have anything taller than the peak of your roof/chimney so keep that in mind too.

4. ICE_9

ICE_9 2[H]4U

Already got auth for up to 12 feet from them. I am wondering if there will be an issue with some roofs but I don't know how well this setup pushes through stuff like that.

5. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

You'll need clear light of sight in ~6m wide radius (at max) from both points to stay out of the fresnel zone at that distance (assuming 2.4ghz). If you have that, should be fine. If not, you'll get a fair bit of signal loss.

6. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Limp Gawd

12 feet isn't much, even if you have a 2 story house, thats a total of about 30 feet give or take, if theres a gas station sign in the way you'd have trouble.
    Without knowing the true clear'ness it'll just be trial and error to see if it works well.