Using a DD Z-chipset block on a GPU?

MikeP

Gawd
Ok. Ive got all the stuff together for my Water setup. Wasnt planning on running a GPU cooler as my Arctic Cooler is doing an OK job of it, I want it watered but.... I found on the boards here a new Dangerden Z-chipset waterblock at a great deal so thought why not cool my northbridge a bit? When I got it the DD label on the box says exactly: "Z-Chipset Video Card Cooler" Checking DDs site there is no mention of this. I checked the dimensions of the block and the hole locations and it would fit no problem.

Anyone tried using this block on their Vid card? Any reason why I shouldnt try it?

P.S. Heres a pic with the label (barely) readable:http://www.nicoritschel.com/freehosting/userfiles/MikeP/resizedchipsetblock.JPG

It should work but you'll have problems running the tubes due to the barbs coming straight out the top of the block which will block most if not all your PCI slots. Alot of companies use the same block for there GPU and chipset blocks, they just use different barbs. Koolance and Polarflo come to mind first.

Go to the hardware store, and get a couple 90 degree fittings and some pipe-dope. It should cool fine, and be easier to hook up that way.

Well Im using no PCI cards so the barbs facing straight down isnt a bother. Ill have to see once I run the tubes if Ill need a 90' barb for the inlet from the CPU. Outlet goes in the right direction already. Thanks for the replys. Hopefully have it set up sometime later this week.

P.S. Is pipe dope the same thing as JB weld?

No, it does the same job as Teflon tape, only pipe dope is usually made of other materials and comes in a crude oil like consistency

JB weld is a cold weld, used to permenantly bond 2 pieces of metal (or just about anything, for that matter) without actually welding them.

Grizzy said:
No, it does the same job as Teflon tape, only pipe dope is usually made of other materials and comes in a crude oil like consistency

JB weld is a cold weld, used to permenantly bond 2 pieces of metal (or just about anything, for that matter) without actually welding them.

Teflon tape would probably be OK too, I've just always used a white silicon pipe-dope. that way I can see what I missed.

Oh yeah, I found out the hard way that JBweld will melt some sofl plastics.

NewBlackDak said:
Teflon tape would probably be OK too, I've just always used a white silicon pipe-dope. that way I can see what I missed.

Oh yeah, I found out the hard way that JBweld will melt some sofl plastics.

Melt? It's a cold weld. No heat whatsoever.

I can't recall hearing that epoxy (essentially what JB Weld is) can 'melt' plastics (which type specifically?). JB Weld is made for metal-metal contacts though.

My suggestion would to be get a one-part silicone or polyurethane calk and seal it up that way. Put some on the threads, screw it in till you feel some resistance (and its close to the angles you want), let it cure for a few hours, give it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn in, then wait 24 hours. With silicone or polyurethane you'll get a seal that won't degrade the clear top, is removable, as well as very leak proof. Using pipe dope & normal methods of tightening (unless you use plastic elbows) will create the potential for stress cracks in the top. RTV Silicone would do the same, but I'm unsure if it's one-part or two-part silicone, which makes a difference due to the acetic acid two-part uses for curing.

As for actually using the block on the gpu - as long as it fits and you can line up mounting holes, do it. It might not perform as well as another block, but it doesn't matter all that much for a gpu due to the high temps they operate w/stock coolers. I was planning on using a maze4nb block for my gpu, but its just too hard to find used. My used maze4cpu block is in the mail atm, which I plan on using for my current 9800pro & the next card I get next. The difference is I'll be doing some drilling & grinding to the copper, as well as making a brass top.

Back