Using a DD Fillport as a "drain""

Fujimitsu

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
191
I'm looking at putting a t-line in my upcoming water cooling set-up and mounting a DD fill port in the top of the case so that I can bleed/fill easily. My only concern is how I will empty the system, since the Fill port will be attached to the case I won't be able to tip it down to empty out the system.. I was looking on DD's site and saw this
fill_system.jpg

using another fill port as a "drain" port on the bottom of the case. I like this idea, it looks very clean and I think it would work well. I'm wondering whether or not this is a good idea, I know it will probably cost a little bit of pressure but I have to have some way to drain the system.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Also, where in the line should I put the T & Y junctions? their location for the Y seems like it would kill flow rate but I'm new to water cooling so I'm not positive.
 
Just use a Swiftech MCRES Micro. With that type of reservoir, it's not necessary to mount it at the highest point in the case. In fact, I have mine mounted at the lowest point for easier draining. All I do is insert a small (1/8" ID) tube into the filling port and siphon the water out. It's quick, easy, and no spills.

Also the way the radiator is mounted in that picture you'll still have to tip the case over to get all the liquid out.

Also, T Lines always directly before the input of the pump.
 
Thanks, I don't really like the looks of the swfitech res but I know it will work, I just like the looks of the DD ports better, and with the case I'm using the idea of being able to drain/fill without opening the case was very very nice. My radiator is gonna be mounted horizontally (parallel to the floor) so I'd probably have to at least tip it on its side to drain anyway.
I guess I could mount the Swiftech one at the top of the case so i would only have to remove the top panel to get to it (plus not having to drill for the fillports in acrylic is a good thing).
I'll have to look at what kind of space I'm working with once i get the case put together and my PC in it (currently air).
 
Better method for a drain line is to put a T at the lowest part. Attach a quick disconnect immediately after the T (I use a brass/nickel T) and voila, instant drain line that doesn't have to remain in the case. When you want to drain, attach the 2nd half of the quick disconnect, which has a ball valve and fill port attached to it.


Basically an optimal drain line looks like this:

T line -> quick disconnect male -> | | -> quick disconnect female -> ball valve -> fill port.

You can detach the drain line where the || is and attach the other half when you're looking to drain. The ball valve can be removed, but I keep it there so I have 2 stop gaps to prevent messy drains.
 
I'd almost rather leave the drain line in, since I'd have to completely dismantle my case to get to the "lowest point" anyway. What quick connects would you suggest tho? the ones i've seen are all bug ugly beige plastic things.
 
Don't use a DangerDen aluminum fill port with a typical copper loop. Use Petra's Delrin/acetal fill port, though you'll need to contact him about availability. Unlike DD's version, Petra's fill port includes a non-metallic black nylon fitting as opposed to DD's nickel-plated fitting -- this is a good thing.

Drain ports are an incredibly good thing, by the way. Absolutely invaluable.
 
Danger Den makes a delrin one, now. Their old one was not. I had one rust up on me and really gunk up my loop. Nasty.
 
Thanks for the quick disconnect link that thing is much sharper than the ones ive seen
do i even need a fillport with a quick disconnect on the t-line?
Petras is OOS on the delrin fillports at the moment :/ If i have two seperate lines I can understand not using other metals for the drain port, as the drain port would be part of the flow of water. If, however I have the traditional t-line for drain & fill the fillport would only be in contact with the water when i drain or fill, so corrosion really isn't a danger correct?
 
Danger Den makes a delrin one, now. Their old one was not. I had one rust up on me and really gunk up my loop. Nasty.
Yeah, but the fitting is still metallic, and I'm not that fond of the design. I have both an aluminum DD fill port and Petra's acetal version, and there are design choices that I think are better with Petra's.

the fillport would only be in contact with the water when i drain or fill, so corrosion really isn't a danger correct?
Nope. There's absolutely no risk for the T-line, but considerable risk if you were to an aluminum variant for the drain line (unless you had a tap or some other sort of system, which is an option).

So the delrin is just cosmetic, the possibility of corrosion is still there right?
The Delrin is functional -- it's not the fitting that's problematic, but the anodized alumnium piece that also comes in contact with the coolant. As for the possibility of galvanic corrosion with the nickel-plated fitting, it's always there. It's not problematic, though. I just think that keeping as many components non-metallic as possible is ideal. If you like the nickel-plated stuff for its aesthetic qualities, go for it. Use a proper amount of corrosion inhibitor, which is a good precautionary measure anyway. Certain non-metallic fittings have their advantages, though.

The key advantage of a meticulously planned loop is that you can safely leave corrosion inhibition out of the equation. With more precaution, you can even eliminate the need for biocides. I've just always liked the idea of a machine cooled with absolutely pure water, so that's the route I've taken.
 
Back
Top