• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using a 5:6 cpu to ram divider

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
1,784
I am overclocking my Q9450 on a Gigabyte X38-DQ6 using OCZ's 2x2gb ddr2 PC8000 platinum rams. My CPU seems to have reached it's limit at 3.4 and the motherboard doesn't seem to cross an FSB more than 1800Mhz. So the only way I could run my memory at 1Ghz was to use a 5:6 divider, I tested the setup on prime95 and everything seems to be stable. Am I getting anything out of the higher memory bandwidth rather than running it at 830Mhz?
 
Yes you are. Do some rendering or simple Pi tests and you'll see 5:6 is better/faster than 1:1. That's what I'm doin'.
 
Reading across the web. most of people still recommend 1:1 which leaves me confused as higher memory bandwidth should perform better and reduce any bottlenecks.
 
1:1 can provide better stability in certain situations, but if you can run 5:6, you may as well.
 
I ran prime95 for 7 hours without any issues, with the FSB working at 1680Mhz and the rams running at 1000Mhz @ 5-5-5-15.
 
Back
Top