Using a 120gb Drive as a pagefile/scratch disk, possible?

Viper16

[H]ard|Gawd
I noticed that Photoshop has used over 80g on scratch so it gave me and idea. I have a 120gb drive that came out of my Xbox that I don't trust too much to use as a data storage (permanent or even semi-permanent) because of the heat conditions it was in (cramped it that little box), and seeing how I already had to RMA it for another one, I just don't think Maxtor makes quality drives, so I dont trust it. I thought about just using it as a scratch disk and a page file for windows. is this at all possible? I would like to know how to set it up for windows. In photoshop I just set the scratch disk to take use that drive.

Is this going to add any performance to anything? is it a waste? shuold I quit being a pussy and use it for storage?

thanks in advance,

Viper

This isn't Viper from #coders is it? :p

Anytime you can offload to a seperate physical drive it will help some. Just pop it in, format it, create 2 partitions, a swap and scratch. Then adjust your virtual memory settings to fill the swap partition. Then adjust Photoshop to point to the new scratch location.

Nope not from #Coders.

Thanks for the info! is it going to be just two standard partitions? or do I have to set it to a specific partition? can I use windows partition program to do it?

You don't even have to create two partitions.

just create one partition any way you like NTFS preferred, then to change your page file settings:
right click on "my computer" go to "properties" click on the "Advanced" tab, click on the "Settings" button under "performance" click on the "Advanced" tab and then click "Change" under "virtual memory" Choose the drive, set the size limits and you are done. (go big, as you have lots of spare space)

==>Lazn

Back