Using 8 pin as a 6 pin? (Power for GPU)

KatalDT

2[H]4U
Just curious, friend has a Coolermaster 750 and is looking at the 6850, which is 6 pin. My Corsairs all have the 6+2 configuration so I can use as either, but his PSU only has 8 pin connectors (solid).

Any ideas?

Edit: To clarify, it does have two 6 pin, but he's looking at 2x6850 - he needs four 6 pin.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2733

Last edited:
I'm not sure that psu would run 2 6850's, coolermaster doesn't have the best psu's. Also I thought the 6850 only had one 6 pin connector at least mine only has one.

Many 8-pin connectors are designed so they physically will not fit into 6-pin sockets. If his connectors fit then it's all good, but if they don't then he'll need to get some 8-pin to 6-pin adapters, or just use molex to PCI-E adapters to provide the other two 6-pin connectors.

Indeed 6850 seems to have only 1 6pin connector per card, so if you have 2 in total you should be fine!

6850 is pretty low power, that's exactly why I just bought one. It's only 1 6-pin each. Lucky since some coolermasters have pretty terrible ripple at high wattage. But you should be fine at 400-500w.

If you really needed to get more 6 pin connectors you could get a pin extractor and transfer the pins to a new shell.

6850 is pretty low power, that's exactly why I just bought one. It's only 1 6-pin each. Lucky since some coolermasters have pretty terrible ripple at high wattage. But you should be fine at 400-500w.

I have a CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro Modular PSU on route to me (old psu just died), now you have me worried. :(

I have a CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro Modular PSU on route to me (old psu just died), now you have me worried. :(

Depends on which coolermaster, some are way better than others. Like the Silent Pro golds are pretty decent. I think the normal silent pro isn't too bad either, but I'd have to double check.

Back