using 2 soundcards rocks!

plinko

Limp Gawd
Wow! I can't believe I just found out about this

I'm using my M-Audio Revolution and Onboard Soundstorm at the same time. Why you ask? Battlefield 1942 (Desert Combat) with Team Speak. Team Speak is a cool program that allows you to talk to other players when playing online games like BF1942 and others.

I have the Revo set up to play game sounds through my speakers. The Soundstorm is hooked up to a headset for mic input and speech output. It's pretty easy to balance the sound levels to taste.

WOW! It totally changes the gameplay of an already great game! I definitely recommend it to everyone who has onboard sound but is using a separate sound card instead. It's not hard to configure, just enable onboard sound in the BIOS. You might have to re-install onboard sound drivers, but it worked for me on the first try.

yeah.. seems kinda foolish... considering the revo can do umm more than one voice or whatever at once.

yea I see what you're saying. I like it because you have the headset, then the background sounds from BF coming through the main speakers. Sounds less cluttered than having everything coming through the headset.

That's not a bad idea, for that particular purpose. I'm impressed that the drivers for those two sound devices can get along well enough for that to work. If that were a Creative sound card, I bet it would be a different story :rolleyes:

But why aren´t you using it the other way around.

I guess your headphones are analogue. Soundstorm suck at analogue.

And you get the REVO for your speakers. If you got digital speakers you should definiatly switch or even otherwise too since if you are using a headset you will probably hear the sound from that more than from the speakers anyway.

And REVO is a lot slower than the "Soundstorm" so using it for speech in the headset may give you both better quality on the speech and also higher performance.

Originally posted by thedarkwolf
Hmmm I'll have to try that.

I just ordered my Audigy 2. Got one used for 60$ but it was unused so...

Got it because I got an analogue headset and I don´t think my Soundstorm is up to the task.

I have my Revo and GTXP running together :).

GTXP used for various inputs, Revo for all the outputs :)

Oh, and the 4 Port USB hub on the GTXP seems to only work when the rack is plugged into the card.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Stanley Pain, what are you using your Revo and GTXP for? Team Speak with gaming or something else?

Originally posted by oqvist

And REVO is a lot slower than the "Soundstorm" so using it for speech in the headset may give you both better quality on the speech and also higher performance.

What r u reffering too? Im guessing CPU utilization as its the only thing I can see resembling "slow soundcard performance". The revo is not nearly as bad as everyone harps on about.

99% of users with new machines wont notice. Most gamers have a powerful enough box that it isn't a factor.

Cheers

Originally posted by plinko
Stanley Pain, what are you using your Revo and GTXP for? Team Speak with gaming or something else?

Using the digital ins on the GTXP for various sound devices, etc. as well as the 4 port USB hub ;)

CHeers,

Mr. Pain

Back