Using 2 interenet connections?

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
I have ADSL and Cable, and wondering how I could use them both at the same time, the ADSL runs alot faster specially at peak times but sometimes it will DC so the cable is a nice backup, I have each on a router and running seperate computers, I want to connect both so that both networks can be shared also both connections can be used

is it as easy as assigning a different ip to one of the routers gateway ip(192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.1.2) ?

first, you wont be able to use them as if they are one "twice as fast" connection.

if i were in your position, and i wanted to set up a fault tolerent set, that would act transparently to my network, i would set up 2 pfsense routers, and enable their CARP configuration for failover. basically, what happens, is each internal interface shares a virtual IP between them, and the network uses this virtual IP as its default gateway. the firewalls are always talking to each other, updating their status, and as soon as one drops offline, the other takes over forwarding the packets to the internet. CARP will keep all the firewall rules that you build on one firewall, syncronized to the other(s) (unless you define that a particular rule should not be sync'd).

check out pfsense at www.pfsense.org

but yes, you could assign .1 and .2, but you would need a DHCP server that is inteligent enough to assign more than one value to the clients for default gateway (your average linksys router wont do this). youll need to setup a MS DHCP server or linux DHCP server that can do this. then, you each client would try the first, and if it times out (dont know how long it would wait for this), it would try the other one. we did some testing on this type of setup back in early 2000s, and while it worked, it didnt works fantastic enough to put it into production at our office.

the pfsense will be some "fun" setting up, but once its up and running, youll wonder how you were possibly able to get along before you had it.

first, you wont be able to use them as if they are one "twice as fast" connection.

if i were in your position, and i wanted to set up a fault tolerent set, that would act transparently to my network, i would set up 2 pfsense routers, and enable their CARP configuration for failover. basically, what happens, is each internal interface shares a virtual IP between them, and the network uses this virtual IP as its default gateway. the firewalls are always talking to each other, updating their status, and as soon as one drops offline, the other takes over forwarding the packets to the internet. CARP will keep all the firewall rules that you build on one firewall, syncronized to the other(s) (unless you define that a particular rule should not be sync'd).

check out pfsense at www.pfsense.org

but yes, you could assign .1 and .2, but you would need a DHCP server that is inteligent enough to assign more than one value to the clients for default gateway (your average linksys router wont do this). youll need to setup a MS DHCP server or linux DHCP server that can do this. then, you each client would try the first, and if it times out (dont know how long it would wait for this), it would try the other one. we did some testing on this type of setup back in early 2000s, and while it worked, it didnt works fantastic enough to put it into production at our office.

the pfsense will be some "fun" setting up, but once its up and running, youll wonder how you were possibly able to get along before you had it.

ahhh, I am running 2 linksys routers :) 1 BFSR4 V1.3? and the new wireless one too, I don't think either of those 2 setups are going to work with those, the first setup seems to be the best, I'm not doing it for sheer speed :) I'm doing more for functionality, eg, 1 ISP blocks torrents, but the other ISP dc's sometime(not fun for MMO games)

Several routers out there which support multiple WAN connections...such as the Linksys/Cisco RV0 series.

I load balance 2 connections with pfsense at work and it works great, i would get it a try....

to use Pfsense wouldn't I need to use a pc as a router though? which is something I didn't really wanna do

If you were playing an online game behind the dual-pfSense/carp router setup described above, and the primary connection disconnected, wouldn't you still be disconnected from the game since your external IP would change with the switchover to the backup connection?

If you were playing an online game behind the dual-pfSense/carp router setup described above, and the primary connection disconnected, wouldn't you still be disconnected from the game since your external IP would change with the switchover to the backup connection?

dual pfsense - carp I assume would have been splitting the packets to the connections? if so then if one connection timed out it would just route the remaining packets to the good connection (I don't know how this will work really)

Another Q, If i setup a pc with PFSENSE/CARP with 3 network connections, can i use it that way?

to use Pfsense wouldn't I need to use a pc as a router though? which is something I didn't really wanna do

Yes, it's either that or get some other device that does the same functionality. You can't do this on your PC unless your running an OS that supports it, of which I don't believe Windows is one of them.

dual pfsense - carp I assume would have been splitting the packets to the connections? if so then if one connection timed out it would just route the remaining packets to the good connection

I don't think CARP will help much with this, a dual pfSense + CARP configuration would be more for fail over because CARP can only devide incoming connections based on IP, So each computer in the network would constantly use one connection based on the hash.

Also would the RV0 series of linksys routers perform the same as PFSENSE? as in one connection drop the rest are routed to the next one? etc playing mmos or any online game etc?

dual pfsense - carp I assume would have been splitting the packets to the connections? if so then if one connection timed out it would just route the remaining packets to the good connection (I don't know how this will work really)

Another Q, If i setup a pc with PFSENSE/CARP with 3 network connections, can i use it that way?

I don't think a game server would send packets to 2 different IPs for one connection, but I could be wrong.

Also would the RV0 series of linksys routers perform the same as PFSENSE? as in one connection drop the rest are routed to the next one? etc playing mmos or any online game etc?

Yes, you'd get bunked from the server. Similar to many online apps, ASP stuff, online session based apps, ...IM, etc.

ok new question, EVGA 680i has dual gigabit cards in it, can I set up one port just to to connect to another network?(this network also has internet though) and keep my first port just for internet and another network, or is this bad =p?

using vista

so summary

port 1 - internet and network 1

port2 - just network too(even though it has internet, can i route my internet to port 1 )?

vista x64 ultimate >_>

Back