Uses for Bridging Connections

CCraft

n00b
This is a hypothetical question I was pondering today... What are the uses for connection bridging in Windows Server? My first thought would be web filtering. If you have some sort of content filtering installed on the server, would you pass all the traffic for the filtered clients through that server? (one NIC connecting to a switch full of clients and one NIC connecting to the Internet)? Does the server basically become a man in the middle? Isn't this exactly what basic routers do... bridge the connection form the Internet to a switch for clients while working some magic in the middle? Another thought was that it could be used to create a separate, isolated network. For example, you have two aironet access points. One secured for personal use and one left open for guest use. You could isolate the open access point to allow access only to the Internet and not to other local network resources. Would something like this be accomplished through bridging?

No real specific questions here, just looking to gain a better understanding of how connection bridging has been put into production by the community.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Bridge 2 networks together. You might have 1 server that hosts a sql back-end but 2 separate networks that need to use it.

You may also want to use the windows firewall to block traffic to the other.

I think before you undergo hypnosis again you should first learn the difference between bridging and routing. BTW the word you were grasping for was "hypothetical" methinks.

The most frequent use of bridging nowadays is when you have wireless clients that are bridged onto a wired LAN and then routed to something like the Internet for instance. Bridges are also used transparently as a "bump in the wire" firewall and in other applications such as layer 4 load-balancers.

I recommend a CCENT course or book if you are really interested in stuff like this.

Back